The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (GDW, ndkid275, Gdads51, ‘37ChevyPU), 137 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#865975 07/10/2012 9:52 PM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
I have restored a 1949 chev. 1-ton truck with a stock 216. The things iv'e changed are .20 bore with aluminum pistons. I rebuilt the oil pump, and new bearings in the engine. I have 30w oil in it, When it's cold I have 30 lbs. pressure at about 1500 rpm I took it out for it's maiden run today And when I'm driving at normal speeds It is only showing about 5 to 10 lbs. of pressure. Is this normal? Thanks Guys.


49 chevy 1-ton. It is a work in progress but it's getting close. 49 1 Ton Pics
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 163
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 163
Hello!

From my experience that sounds about right. My 216 has about 20 to 25 psi when cold, and the holds about 10 psi and I've been driving it for 20 years. My engine is internally stock.

Randy B.


Come to the Great Lakes GABfest
Get all the details here!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

14 psi at 2,000 rpm would be normal
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0648.htm

5-10 psi at cruising speed when warmed-up is a little low, but I have run many miles at those pressures.

What weight of oil are you using?

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
I am using 30W and the outside temp is 90 degrees. Terry


49 chevy 1-ton. It is a work in progress but it's getting close. 49 1 Ton Pics
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
You might try running 40w and see if the pressure goes up a little.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I've seen 216's idle with the needle barely off of the engine off position.

Last edited by 6cylindersovertexas; 07/10/2012 11:02 PM.

"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0