The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Pre '68 Dave, BCBill), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,178
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#865945 07/10/2012 8:33 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
May buy a G506. From research it looks like the Diffs are 6.51, TC is 1.94, but I can't find anything on the tranny. I've seen it called a GM Corporate Spur-gear or Sliding-Gear transmission.
Does anyone know for sure what the tranny and ratios are, in particular the granny gear ratio?

Also, seller said he thought that the 235 in military trucks had a pressurized oil system instead of just a splash type. Anybody know four sure?

Thanks




Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
What year truck/trans are we talking about?

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
Sorry. It's a 42.

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
Dug up this site with old repair manuals. It's probably old news to you guys though.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/military/1942/index.htm
Anyway, it doesn't identify the tranny but does give the ratios as follows:
1st 7.06
2nd 3.48
3rd 1.71
4th 1.00
Rev 6.98

I believe the later SM420 has a 7.02 granny

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
If it is the original 235 that came in the truck then it is a babbit bearing, splash oil motor. The only way it would be full pressure would be if someone pulled the original motor and put a later one in. The cckw or "Duece and a Half" was built by GMC and the motors in those trucks (270 cu in) were of a more modern design the Chevrolet 506's used basicly a bigger version of the 216.

-Mike-

Last edited by sleeve; 07/11/2012 6:49 AM.

1945 Chevrolet G 506 1.5 Ton Military 4X4
1967 Jeep Cj5 with 283 SBC
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
Found some more ratios for the Diffs and TC on this website and another.
http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/lampman_greg_1942.html

This Stovebolt article reports a diff ratio of 6.67 and TC of 1.94 and granny of 7.06. 91:1 -- Woohoo!

He is replacing the orig tranny with a NV 4500 5-sp with ratios of 6.04, 5.6, 1.67, 1, 0.73.

The 1942 military 4x2 manual linked in a post earlier in this thread shows a Diff ratio of 6.17 with an optional 5.43 diff. Of course this manual is for the 4x2.

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
Sleeve

Thanks for the info on the 235. Seller says that someone told him it might be a newer 235, a 1952, but I thought the pressurized 235 didn't come out until 54.

Yep, wish it was a Jimmy. I've got a 51
GMC 1-ton with a 302.

If I buy the 42 it'll probably never see another 100 miles. Will just pull stumps on my mountain property in Silverton, so a 235 will be OK.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by izzenhood
Sleeve



If I buy the 42 it'll probably never see another 100 miles. Will just pull stumps on my mountain property in Silverton, so a 235 will be OK.

In four wheel low these trucks are unstoppable.....your stumps wont stand a chance. :>)


1945 Chevrolet G 506 1.5 Ton Military 4X4
1967 Jeep Cj5 with 283 SBC

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0