Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,095 Posts1,056,480 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 | Why do the inlets of '53 brake wheel cylinders face foward if the brake lines end couplings are actually behind the axle ? To me, one would almost want to switch the left from the right so that the inlets face towards the rear of the truck pointing more towards the brake line end couplings.
Maybe I'm reading things wrong. If the box say front left wheel cylinder, this is driver's side yes?
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 13 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 13 | yes its as you are sitting in your truck left and right | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 |
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | I'm guessing you have the brakes apart just now . Try fitting the wheel cyls up on the wrong sides , and the flexible hoses (no fluid) then go full steering lock each way and see what contortions the hose goes thru , then look at the way it works when fitted up correctly . Let us know what you find .  | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 | I have seen those front wheel cylinders installed both ways, some with the hose facing front, others with the hose facing rear.
However, there is more than one picture in the GMC service manual that shows the passenger side ( right side ) with the hose facing to the rear.. That is the way I installed mine when I replaced the cylinders..
Bill M 53 GMC Hydra-Matic
Home Page http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html
When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 50 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 50 | I also have a '53 and when I replaced my wheel cylinders the inlets faced back, which seems normal to me. Thats the direction they faced when I took them off.
'52 Chevy 5 window, it ran when I parked it '53 Chevy 5 window, running the streets with me. '55 Massey-Ferguson, tearing up the dirt '89 Harley FXSTS, suicide clutch '92 Harley FLSTC, equal time with the '89
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 | Just a reminder, I am putting a '53 front assembly on my '50. The wheel cylinder inlets on the '50 face straight towards the engine.
When I got the '53 front assembly I noted that both cylinders faced towards the front so I could assume that the ends of the brake lines on a '53+ are located near or in front of the axle ?
Since the ends of my brake lines are behind, shouldn't I just swap the cylinders (put left on right side, etc) so they are somewhat facing their respected lines?
Yes Dusty, I will look into switching them. The only difficult issue is that this '53 assembly is on my workshop table, not under my truck, but I will still have a good idea if this will work.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 198 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 198 | You may find the casting numbers on the wheel cylinders may be the same, just drilled different, take a look as to where the body end of the flex hose is mounted, if it's at the back then the bleed screw goes toward the front | | |
| |