The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gib70, Gray_Ghost, 55shaker, 1 invisible), 60 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,695
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#865401 07/09/2012 1:14 AM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 121
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 121

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

They may be replacement blades (are there any codes/numbers on the blades)? I bought a generic 6-blade fan blade in the middle 70s (NAPA).

One 6-blade unit is listed up through 1957.

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 121
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 121
i didnt see any numbers on them ill look again . one blade came off a 216 engine in a 36 flatbed

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
What is the diameter of the center hole in both fans?


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 121
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 121
they are 1" they fit my 54 water pump perfect

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Than it looks like you have two of the "3707662 18inch low speed 1937-55 1st truck" fans.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 121
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 121
they are both 18" blades . what does low speed mean ? are they better than the 4 blade fans ?

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I believe they were intended for trucks that would be going slow in the fields, like grain trucks.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 97
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 97
Six blade fans were also used on some of the 216s used to power Canadian army trucks. I'm not 100% sure of their reasoning but added cooling for desert warfare would make sense to me.

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
I have a 39 with a 216 engine. On a hot day it would overheat with the 4 bladed fan. I was given a 6 bladed fan. Now it will idle all day long without overheating. A big difference.


1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

That's what it says for the 1937-1955 6-blade fan listed in the 1929-57 Master Parts & Accessories Catalog (at the link above): low speed operation, 6-blade, 18" diameter (3707662 became available in 1954 and replaced the earlier 6-blade fan 604225).



Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
I just saw an ad on ebay for a used 6 bladed fan 37-46 for $100.


1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
I used the 6 blade off of the 216 I removed. It moves air like a hurricane.
fan


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
I know this post is 5-1/2 years old, but I'm looking for one of these 18" 6-bladed fans for my 37 Chev firetruck.

Bryan
Beaverton, OR

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 127
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 127
I am looking for one as well, for my 1951 Chevy grain truck. She gets hot really easy moving around the farm and in the field.
Thanks


1951 Chevrolet 6400
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Might want to make a shroud with a hole in it for the fan, so air is pulled through all the radiator, not just the part in front of the fan. Use a flat piece of Al, secured on the edges to the radiator frame. Fan should be partly through shroud. Get some flexible rubber mat pieces to make flaps so at speed the air can go right through the flaps-look at VW Rabbit, etc.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 87
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 87
I will check a friends garage (his dad was old school engine builder/gear head). There was 3 or 4 - 6 blade fans in the corner. Also has 3 235’s, 10 265’s, 7 power glides, two complete drive trains for 54 or 55 210’s and a ton of other stuff we are sorting through.

The fans just might be the 6 blades from I 6 or from 265/283 v8s

Are there a difference?


1954 Std Cab 3100 w/ 2 spare Engines
IL
1954 three window 3100
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Check OD of blades, mounting bolt pattern and ID of shaft hole.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 87
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 87
Found the fans; they were 4 blades. Will dig deeper the next time there as we aware we saw some 6 blade fans.

Ed, Thanks for info on identification


1954 Std Cab 3100 w/ 2 spare Engines
IL
1954 three window 3100
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,198
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,198
Interesting. Why not aftermarket?
Flex-a-lite


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 901
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Online: Content
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 901
I have one of those Flex-a-lite nylon fans on my 55 210. They sure move a lot of air.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0