The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (39Master85, papas52, Jack Ryan, 1955 1 Series, BC59, JW51), 54 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,083
Posts1,056,326
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
So my brake lights do not shut off after the brake pedal is depressed. They will however shut off if I go underneath the truck and move the switch back farther. It's as if the brake pedal arm does not go back enough to disengage the switch. I looked in both the Assembly and Shop manuals and they say nothing about shimming the switch. I also saw something called a Brake Pedal Bumper that looks like it would fit on the arm of the Brake Pedal. Is this Bumper responsible for making contact with the Brake Light Switch to shut the brakes lights off when the pedal is depressed?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I had to use a bumper on my AD for this problem as well. Also the switches seem to go bad in a couple years or so? Something internal (cheap) I think they fail to contact after a while. You can bend the arm as well (carefully).

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the rubber bumper should not contact the brake sw arm, but there should be one to keep the metal pedal arm from banging against the bottom of the floor board - and coming up too high inside

as said, you should just bend the switch arm carefully until it's working correctly, once you have the pedal working properly

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
My '59 did that and it was just the switch had died. Simple replacement fixed it, but you may have some other things going on......


1940 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup "KC"
A day without sunshine is like, well, ..... dark!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Sometimes you need to put a piece of rubber hose over the stem.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
Thanks for all the replies. Picking up new Brake/Clutch pedal bumpers tomorrow. I'll try to bend the actuator bar, if I feel I'm going to beak it I've got some real thick tubing I can install. Thanks again

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I don't think you are going to bend that bracket without destroying the switch.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0