The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gray_Ghost, cmayna, 46 Texaco, rfs56trk, Hawkman, Wally / Montana), 109 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,687
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#850051 05/09/2012 11:37 AM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Let me start this off with a little background on the truck. The truck was bought by my uncle in 1984 in Wyoming. He bought the truck and trailered it back to Fort Collins, Colorado. It then was put in my grandma's pasture where it sat until this year. My uncle passed away in 2010 and I inherited this truck. The truck had been sitting for so long without moving that a sapling grew into a full size tree through the spare frame that was sitting in front of it. I had to cut down the tree and then cut the stump out between the rear passenger side wheel and the frame. Now that the truck is free i'm finally getting this project going. The goal of the project for right now is to just get the stock 216 running and get the interior clean and put together. Later I will put a 292 HD-TD in it with a Holset H35x or H40x turbo on it and fuel inject it with a 5 speed or maybe even a t56 as well as a new rear end. The truck is in surprisingly great shape considering the passenger window is missing. The only rust I have found so far is a hole about 3 inches long where the floor pan meets the toe board. I plan on keeping the paint exactly how it is and only lowering it about 4 inches for now. So with that said ON TO THE PICTURES!

Heres the truck how is sat when I first started working on it.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/IMG_1144.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/IMG_1537.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/IMG_1554.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/IMG_1531.jpg

As you can see something was probably living in it at one point. So far I have found probably around 50 or so wasp's nest and I keep killing and finding more.

Here is how big this "sapling" that grew between the frame infront of the truck was.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/IMG_1529.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/3f7dded8.jpg

And here is where it grew around and into the leaf spring.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/71d7c4bf.jpg

But it had to go in order to get the truck out.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/fb678116.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/963a362b.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/24eeb3e6.jpg

Here you can see the marks from the leaf spring in the trunk of the tree.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/d8412143.jpg

Now that the tree was gone I could finally move the truck and see what was missing. So far the only thing that's missing from what I can tell is the 4speed u joint assembly. Judging by the marks on the inside of the ball assembly it looks like there was a u joint failer and that's why the truck was taken off the road. The torque tube was disconnected from the trans when it was brought home and a lot of the parts were inside the cab under that huge mess.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/74eed856.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/14ac418b.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/f3d2138c.jpg

Luckily I have all of the fenders as well as the running boards so the trucks patina matches.

From here I took the head off the truck to try and get the motor to turn over and to my surprise it turned over just by moving the fan belt. So far I have not come across one bolt that has been seized *fingers crossed*.

The only thing that I have found that I need to fix to get the truck on the road again is the passenger side rear shackle hanger. The bushing is it has torn trough the bracket so i'll need to find a replacement and weld them on.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/DSCF1023.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/DSCF1024.jpg

I tore down the truck a pretty good amount today. I took the bed off the frame, The grill and front fenders off. the gas tank out along with the gauges and everything that was inside the truck.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/DSCF1012.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/DSCF1016.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/DSCF1015.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/DSCF1026.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/DSCF1030.jpg

I do have one question right now. Does anyone know what this is? It had a vacuum line from the motor to it and the other line looks like it goes to the wiper motor? I also has a switch wired to it that the front is broken off. Any help is appreciated.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/DSCF1022.jpg

I also found some goodies for the truck in my uncles shop. I found this stainless steel visor that is missing the center clamps and one end bracket. But those shouldn't be to hard to make.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/visor.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/visor1.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/visor3.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/visor2.jpg

The motor also looks to be the factory one. The serial number doesn't exactly match up inliners says the prefix is from 52

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/DSCF1021.jpg

Well that's about all for now. I hope to get the cab off the frame this weekend and possible the motor and trans out as well. Sorry for the long first post the other ones won't be nearly this long. If this is the wrong place to post this feel free to move it.

Last edited by CoTsi95; 05/09/2012 11:41 AM.

52' Chevy 3100 5 window
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
This is a great story with great photos. I can't wait for the next installment. That is very special to have a truck with family history.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Wadw this will explain what the part on your firewall is:
We all have seen the dual action fuel pumps but here are two other Chevrolet/GMC applications to make those wipers work better. First is my Windshield Washer Coordinator Group No. 8.798 PN 986984 this one is from 1954 and is for passenger cars I think it would work on a truck except for clearance issues. It allows the windshield washer bottle and wipers to run together. You "T" off the bottle and the vacuum cylinder attaches to the motor linkage on top.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2475288740102454676qzHoye
The next is a Trico set-up that is mentioned for trucks but only GMC specifically (Booster W/S wiper vacuum 23.3787 PN 2233295 1939-53 Parts Book Light Duty) although the Chevrolet Truck Parts Catalogue 1942-1956 mentions Trico as the service provider. I have owned two trucks with this set-up attached to the firewall both were Chevrolet and both were 2-tons.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2629558360102454676CIHAvy
Picture here shows where the unique VAC switch was mounted under the dash.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2145875240102454676VbBPfp
Here is the complete Trico (Electro-Vac) kit.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2663868800102454676yRTvVe
I don't own this but the owner was kind enough to sell me the large instruction sheet which I will try and scan for posting later. Anybody running one of these on their bolt? There are several detailed pictures of both items if you follow the links.

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Thanks truckernix, I will hopefully get some work done on it this weekend. I got some parts from classic parts yesterday. Im very excited about this project.

Thank you so much brad. From the links you gave me it looks exactly like the Trico Electro-vac. The switch looks just like that but with the knob missing. From what i've gathered the electro-vac was just a secondary electric vacuum pump for the wipers? Is it rare to see this on a 1/2 ton?


52' Chevy 3100 5 window
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I have never seen one on a small truck. They were a dealer item so if someone added it they were using the truck a lot. Also they were not cheap around $50 plus installation cost.

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Thanks for the info, let me know when you get the instructions scanned, i'd like to see if i can get it to work with the truck.


52' Chevy 3100 5 window
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
I worked on some projects today for the truck. I refaced my gauges using the decal kit from classic parts. It was pretty easy to do and they turned out looking brand new. I need to get a new temp gauge since the sender was cut from the gauge, that't its not done. But it shows what they all used to look like before i refaced them. The speedo was pretty easy to do as well. I also resurfaced the odometer and set it back to 0 miles.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/Gaugerebuild2.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/Gaugerebuild.jpg

I also spent some time polishing my visor. I sanded it with 800 grit and got most of the scratches out and then moved on to 1000, 1500 and finished with 2000 grit. I then used a white compound on my buffing wheel and finished it off with a green compound. It came out looking pretty good if I do say so myself. Only 4 more panels to finish, sigh.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/Polishedvisor.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/Polishedvisor2.jpg

Last thing I did today was polish the top trim on the speaker cover. I sand blasted it to get the layers of old paint off, then did the same process I did on the visor. Then I used the black decal kit from classic parts for the lettering. Im going to polish the rest of the speaker cover and the glove box lid as well. It should look pretty good next to the gloss black dash.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/Speakercover.jpg


52' Chevy 3100 5 window
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
A few updates. I picked up a 54 235 with a 56 848 head a week or so ago. Tore it all down and its in really good shape. I only plan on polishing the crank and putting new bearings in it and hardened valve seats in the head. I also picked up a Fenton dual carb intake. I got my fenton dual carb intake mocked up. The engine should be dropped off at the machine shop tomorrow for a full flow oil filter conversion.

I also picked up some new taillights a guide traffic light viewer and some air cleaners at good guys a couple weeks ago, Im hoping to get some work done on the truck this weekend so some more updates should come.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/Fentonintake2.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/Fentonintake3.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/Fentonintake.jpg


52' Chevy 3100 5 window
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Got my 235 back from the machine shop. They polished the crank and converted it to a full flow oiling system for me. They also put hardened valve seats in the head and cleaned it up. Should be able to start assembling the long block this weekend if all goes well.

I also test fitted my Fulton I found in the shed next to my truck.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/gangster.jpg


52' Chevy 3100 5 window
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Few quick updates. I ended up getting a deluxe heater for the truck and got it tore apart waiting for paint right now. I also picked up a few other parts I needed like a temp gauge and 60 psi oil pressure gauge for the 235. I also managed to score a 52 GMC rocket hood ornament. I've been scouring ebay for months and finally pulled the trigger on one.

Since winter is approaching fast i'm gonna move the truck into the garage and finally get some real progress started on her. So their should be a ton of updates in the next week or two.


52' Chevy 3100 5 window
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Love it man! Comin along nicely. cool

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Finally got the truck moved to my house and in the garage. Now the build can finally begin! I power washed the engine bay to try and get some most of the 60 years worth of mud and grime off. Then pushed it into the garage and ripped out the wiring harness.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/...8760_10151061421877547_1309975857_n1.jpg

Then I sanded and prepped the firewall to get painted semi-gloss black.

Before:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/cotsi95/chevy%203100/FirewallBeforePaint.jpg

After:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/...97269_10151062791412547_2140186496_n.jpg

Then I moved into the interior ripping out the rest of the dash components. The truck was a haven for wasps when it was out in the pasture and I THOUGHT I had killed them all. But when I went to rip the dash pad out I grabbed in the wrong spot and got stung by one. There were 3 still alive hiding inside the dash pad. Now the truck is FINALLY wasp free...or so I hope.

Then I sanded, Primed and Painted the dash.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/...50509_10151062918227547_1772120796_n.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/...431605_10151062918272547_417759311_n.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/...11291_10151062963947547_1353117334_n.jpg

I also mocked up the dash pieces that I painted an age brass metallic. It should look pretty good when all of the pieces are in there.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/...88139_10151062964052547_1075100095_n.jpg

Lastly i painted my shifter and installed the shift knob. I took a dummy grenade from my local military surplus store and epoxied the hole in the bottom shut and then drilled and tapped it. I also painted the top pieces the aged brass metallic.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/...30409_10151062996602547_2067390673_n.jpg

Tomorrow I should have the old motor and trans out as well as the front frame rails ground down and painted.


52' Chevy 3100 5 window
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 193
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 193
GREAT BUILD!!! You are workin hard on yr uncles trk.(Saw your last post was 3:30 in the morning! LOL) Your enthusiasm has renewed the interest in workin on our trucks for alot of people here. I personally have been stalling on our 51 and 55 project. But seeing your pics have given me some new ideas. It's great to see youth express interest in these great vehicles! Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask any questions when they arise.
Speaking of questions, what procedure did you use to sand your dash? Did you use a really fine grit paper or a moderately fine paper like 320? Brian


1952 GMC model 473 dump truck
1951 Chevy 1500 stepside
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Thanks for the kind words brian. Yes I'm busting my [censored] on the truck. I will probably have a few questions soon. Tonight the engine is coming out and the front frame painted and I might even install my ccp sway bar I picked up on craigslist gently used for 50$!

I also just placed an order with Classic Parts so they should be here on saturday.

For the dash I used my DA and a 150 and 220 grit pads. And in the places where I couldn't get it like the top of the dash by the windshield I hand sanded them.


52' Chevy 3100 5 window
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Finally got the stubborn steering wheel off and the motor and trans out and the frame cleaned up and painted. Now it's on to assembly off the 235 and then dropping it in and the new clutch and the old 4 speed. Getting pretty exciting around here!


52' Chevy 3100 5 window
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Well went to assemble the short block yesterday and the machine shop gave me 55-60 235 main bearings instead of the 54 bearings I asked them 3 times to get. So looks like I will be waiting till tuesday to get new ones in and the motor assembled.


52' Chevy 3100 5 window
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 233
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 233
Awesome job! My 53 is more rust than anything lol


1953 Chevy 3100
261 and SM420
53Chevy 3100
1953 Mack Firetruck
1972 Porsche 911
1986 Honda Goldwing

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0