The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Shade Baby, Otto Skorzeny, Dennys28, Mike B, klhansen, 1 invisible), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,649
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#859576 06/16/2012 1:41 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
I currently have a synthetic gear oil in the transmission of my '56 half ton and notice the gears grinding once it gets hot and I try to shift into 1st. I've read here that the synthetics can cause the synchros in older transmissions to have difficulty and I'm wondering if that's what's going on. The transmission is a Saginaw 3-speed manufactured in 1967.


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
get some 85-140 non synthetic. it is not a slippery as the synthetic and will actually slow things down and make shifting gears smoother.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
The Saginaw has a fully-synchronized 1st. gear, so if it's grinding you've either got a bad blocker ring in the synchro, or the lube is too slippery. Try draining the transmission, run a solvent like mineral spirits or Diesel fuel for a few minutes, and refill with straight 90 weight or 85W-140. I had a similar problem with a Kawasaki motorcycle after adding some Kroil to the engine oil to free up the rings after years in storage- - - -the clutch started slipping! There was a common crankcase between the engine and the transmission, and the Kroil was causing the wet clutch to slip. A flush and refill solved the problem.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Y
New Guy
New Guy
Y Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Go To NAPA and get some GL4 gear oil

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
Jerry, when I put the solvent or whatever in the transmission, do I drive it around like that for a short time and then drain or just fill it, let it sit, and then draiin it?


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Don't drive- - - -the solvent destroys the lubrication qualities. Just jack up a rear wheel and run it in gear for a few minutes. Non-loaded running doesn't hurt anything, but you don't want to put any stress on the gears and bearings.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
So I just checked out some Valvoline 85-140 at my FLAPS. It says it is rated for GL4 and GL5 applications but does not say whether it is synthetic or non-synthetic. Do synthetic gear oils always say "synthetic" on the container? There is also a Lucas gear oil that says it is "conventional oil" and GL4. Will either of these be OK?


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
Joe

Get the Valvoline. If it were synthetic it would say on the bottle.


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
OK, thanks a lot.


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
Well I just did this--drained the gear oil out, ran mineral spirits in the trans for a bit, drained that, and then filled it with 85-140 non synthetic. The transmission still grinds when shifting into first. The only difference is it now grinds when shifting into reverse as well. It usually doesn't do it until I've been driving for a while. Sometimes it won't do it at all. At this point, I guess I'm looking at a blocker ring or an adjustment. Does that make sense?


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I'd adjust the clutch and lower the idle down some and see what happens. If it still grinds going into first and reverse its surgery time.

Last edited by don stocker; 07/05/2012 12:30 AM.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
I'll check my idle speed and the pedal freeplay. It's been a while since I've looked at the shift/clutch linkages, so I'll get under there and see if there's anything obviously wrong.


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
I think this problem might be linkage-related because when I use a little extra force pulling the shift in toward me on 1st and reverse, it doesn't grind.


1956 Chevy 3200

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0