| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (baldeagle),
158
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#85799 07/24/2003 3:26 PM | Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 19 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 19 | I have a Motorola radio under the dash of my '54 GMC that looks like a vintage aftermarket radio. The main unit is only about 4" deep and there are two big metal boxes under the dash connected by wires to the main unit. The boxes are about 4"x4"x6" and both say Motorola on them. Has anyone had any experience with this radio? Is it worth fixing or should I try to find an original radio to go in the dash? I will try to link to a photo, let me know if it doesn't work. It looks green in the photo, but it was originally chrome plated and that is turning green. web page | | |
#85800 07/24/2003 8:24 PM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 | Hey Magilla - Did you just buy that truck on eBay? I think I recognize that truck. If yes, you got yourself a good buy for sure.
That's a '54 Deluxe cab with all the fixins and they are highly desireable. The radio is a common aftermarket radio that was sold at places like Western Auto, Pep Boys, etc. Whether you fix it not depends on your plans for the truck.
How do you intend to use the truck? What are your plans? | | |
#85801 07/25/2003 1:33 AM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | What are the Acorn nuts doing on a 54 motor? It looks like a nice truck. I wouldn't go too crazy worrying about the radio and the factory radio for the 54s are not nearly as dear as the previous years. | | |
#85802 07/25/2003 1:26 PM | Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 19 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 19 | Kook,
Yes I got it off ebay, it has 10,000 original miles on the odometer and that appears to be correct. There is an oil change sticker on the door post from 1970 when the truck had 7900 miles on it. It has sat outside for a long time, though and has some rust, but mechanically should be in good shape. I plan on getting it running and just tinker around with it. Some day I will do a frame off restoration, just don't have the time right now. | | |
#85803 07/25/2003 1:56 PM | Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 793 Bondo Artiste | | Bondo Artiste Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 793 | I love your truck!!!! What kind of building was the truck sitting in when you took your photos??
Have you driven it yet???
~ Phillip 1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project 1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic 1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25 1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY! 1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO | | |
#85804 07/25/2003 3:15 PM | Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 19 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 19 | It is sitting in my Dairy Barn. We just put a new roof on it but have a lot more work to do on it to make it my shop. It is 36'x82' with 10' ceiling. Should be nice when I get it done. I haven't driven the truck yet, need to get the gas supply going first. I unhooked the fuel line from the fuel pump last night and tried to blow in it and it is plugged up tight, so that will be my next project, along with cleaning and sealing the gas tank. I just added some more photos to my album if you're interested in a few more pics. | | |
#85805 07/25/2003 4:45 PM | Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 793 Bondo Artiste | | Bondo Artiste Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 793 | Very nice photos, and you'll have to keep us informed when you get it up and running. Kook is a GMC expert so if you need any tips/pointers he is your man. I LOVE THESE GMC TRUCKS!!
Have a great weekend!!
~ Phillip 1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project 1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic 1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25 1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY! 1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO | | |
#85806 07/27/2003 6:30 AM | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 122 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 122 | Magilla, Here's what you need... \'54 radio (if ya got that kinda money that is) | | |
#85807 07/27/2003 7:18 AM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 385 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 385 | Rob may have one for you, but expect to cough up some $$ for a correct '54/55 unit. | | |
#85808 07/30/2003 6:40 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 198 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 198 | Do you have any lights on? If it is a tubed radio you will find no diodes or transistors in it and an 18V drill will not do any damage even if you short the ant out, you have more chance of damaging the front end with static if anything. Does the radio "Hum"? check the viberator if not. | | |
#85809 08/09/2003 12:18 AM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 | Magilla: A word of caution on that radio that '54 GMC linked...it's a Chevy truck radio and will not fit your GMC. BUT! There is another trick which I have kept in close confidence and will now reveal only to the stovebolt nation: '55-'59 radios will fit the '54 dash. They are not all 6v + ground like the 54 is, but the radio will fit and look right and you can have it rebuilt to whatever your truck is.
Magilla, that is a great truck you got there and it would sure be nice to do a mechanical only resto on it and drive it just the way it is. It is an ULTRA RARE unmolested original '54 Deluxe cab truck from what I can see of it.
The '54 Chevy truck radio will not work. The '53 Chevy CAR radio will work, but you will need a GMC lens and square bezel for it to look right and fit the dash opening. The oval bezel on the '53 Chevy car will not make it through the '54 GMC dash's stock radio bezel opening. | | |
#85810 08/11/2003 5:25 PM | Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 19 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 19 | Kook,
Thanks for the info on the radio, I have seen pics of the '55 radios and thought they looked like the right proportions to fit the GMC. As far as the truck goes, I plan on doing as little as possible to it to get it running. Later on I will do some spot rust repair and painting. It's a shame the truck was left outside for so long. | | |
| |
| |