| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,077 Posts1,056,280 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#85349 03/05/2005 3:08 AM | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 15 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 15 | (I'm still wondering!) Can someone tell me when the 1/2 ton trucks were first produced with 12 volt systems? I have heard '55. But if so, was it with the beginning of the second series? Or was it not a set date at all? (I have a mostly restored '54 3100 which is 12v, but no way to reach previous owners who did the work.) I'm wondering if they might have put in a complete engine starter etc. from a later model? Thanks a lot. | | |
#85351 03/06/2005 1:55 AM | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 15 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 15 | [QUOTE]Originally posted by tclederman: [qb]Chevy Duty has these original pictures on its weebsite (for '55 2nd series Chevrolet Trucks). My guess is that all '55 1st series Chevy trucks were 6v. Tim
Thanks Tim. That certainly makes sense. (I tried to check the serial number on my motor today, to see if that would date the motor. It has no serial number! The casting looks like it was milled,but no numbers, or letters. Ever heard of that? Thanks again, Fred | | |
#85352 03/06/2005 4:28 AM | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Fred,
I have seen a truck (mine) with a 1954 truck engine that someone had ground off the engine serial number/ID that was pressed into the ledge to the rear of the distributor. However, the block casting number (upper right behind the starter motor) is still there and it has a '54 number.
Tim | | |
| |
| |