The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (cmayna, Wally / Montana, Shade Baby, Goach2, Donf, dt235sd, Otto Skorzeny, Joe H), 60 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,311
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85309 01/24/2005 8:52 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 18
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 18
have new 12 v gage. new sending unit. getting 0-40 ohms on sending unit when i move the arm. getting (minus 10-12v) on back of gage when key turned on.
tank is about 3/4 full and i can get about 25 ohm reading on sending unit.

gage goes to Empty when key turned on.
tried new wire from gage to sending unit-same response. is my problem that i am getting a minus voltage reading?? this is a 12 volt conversion with negative ground. could the sending unit be shorted out?? help

#85310 01/25/2005 2:10 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 18
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 18
after couple more hours and trip to auto store. i discovered that i needed to ground the gage. i had it out of the cluster justing hanging. once i grounded the gage the needle pointed to 3/4 full.

doug

#85311 02/03/2005 1:26 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
I am having the same problem. I installed the new 12v. guage into the cluster and now I am getting about 6v. at the sender. If I remember right there should be no voltage at the tank. I also have a new sender in the tank but have not hooked it up yet. I am getting all of my readings at the wire at the tank. Don't want to burn up the sender. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

#85312 02/04/2005 3:02 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 94
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 94
It is my understanding the the sending unit can be used with either 6 or 12 volt systems. That is what I was told when I bought mine. I have 12 volts and the sender works fine.

Test your sender by taking it out of the tank, then using a multimeter on the Ohms setting, place one lead on the top stud of the the sender and the other lead to the plate of the sender (ground). Then, move the sender arm up and down. It should register 0 ohms with the arm all the way down (empty), and 30 ohms with the arm all the way up (full). If so, the sender is good, and the problem lies in the gauge or connections. Note: these Ohms readings are for the pre-1965 GM vehicles, but the testing procedure is the same for others as well.

Hope this helps,
Steve


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0