The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (55shaker, 1955 1 Series, BC59, 3800GUY, RaNfLaS, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny, wilbur53, FAST55), 156 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,104
Posts1,056,201
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
I'm trying to chase down a problem with my '46 235. the engine lugs on acceleration. I've put in points-condinser, wires, plugs, set timing, and cleaned carb. I replaced the plugs and that was the only step that didn't lead to any improvement. In fact the new plugs probably made the truck run worse.
There were Autolite 4194's gapped to 0.020 in the truck so that's what I replaced them with. I gapped them to 0.040, per the manual. The truck has a pronounce backfire now, that is worse than before. I may go back and cut the gap down some and see if that helps.
Is there another plug, or a different gap that y'all recommend? I've seen an Auotlite 3136 mentioned upon searching the forums. In running these in a '46 two ton, but probably will never really load the old girl that much.
Thanks,
Scott

Forgot to mention these are the small 10mm size plugs.

Last edited by Scott's50; 05/13/2012 12:24 AM. Reason: Added sumpin'.

1947, 1950, & 1952 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
1952 GMC 450 series Cab Over Engine
1946 Chevrolet 2 Ton
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
Why the .040 gap on new plugs when replacing older ones with .020?



Jerry
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
The service manual lists the gap as .040". That's where I got that number from.


1947, 1950, & 1952 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
1952 GMC 450 series Cab Over Engine
1946 Chevrolet 2 Ton
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Sounds like you have weak spark If it runs better with the smaller gap. Thats probably why someone set the gap so close on the old plugs. You may have a bad coil or the wrong coil. Is it still running 6 volts?


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
Yes, I'm still running 6v. I didn't replace the coil, as it is the original style where the wire for the distributor comes out the bottom. I may have to end up getting one of those, I don't suspect that is a FLAPS item. I also ordered some Autolite 3136 as NAPA shows those as correct for the application. We shall see what difference that makes.


1947, 1950, & 1952 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
1952 GMC 450 series Cab Over Engine
1946 Chevrolet 2 Ton

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0