The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Shade Baby, 1955 1 Series, Gray_Ghost, JW51, ronsway), 175 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,271
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#847068 04/27/2012 2:44 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
I had to share this...
Several months ago I bought a '58 truck from a work buddy for $300. It had the L6, 4 sp tranny and all the components in the engine compartment except the battery.
He was going to send it to the scrapper and I might could glean some parts for my '59 and sell/give away excess parts, then scrap the carcass. Though the body was toast, it still had a lot of useable parts and even the carcass would still bring me $300 afterwards. I even have the Texas title and data plates. To me, it was certainly worth $300.
For my '59 I had a choice of building a 261 or 235 as both of these were in the bed of my truck when I bought it. With much deliberation and opinion requests on here, I chose and built the 261.
Yesterday evening I walked past the '58 and glanced at the dirty engine and noticed something that I hadn't noticed before. CAPTAINS BARS! I thought its engine was a 235... it's a 261!
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
The 1953 poweglide 235 engine has captains bars.....

Kurt

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
Hmmmm... Didn't know that.
I'll get a casting number off of it and verify.
Hey, I'm keeping my hopes up anyways.
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
Jerry,

Good luck. Probably a lot more 261 engines around than '53 235 powerglide engines. You might check and see if the bosses on the side of the engine are drilled and tapped for the side engine mounts used in the '53 Chevy car. If not drilled and tapped then chances are good that it is a 261.

I'm not an expert on this like pre68dave and others here, but I do have a '53 powerglide engine which is how I know about it.

Kurt

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Post the code that is pressed into the block just to the rear of where the distributor enters the block.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
Thanks Curt,
Are you referring to the 3 bosses on a triangular pattern?
I went back to some pictures of that engine in the '58 and I saw white dirt dobber holes meaning to me, they are tapped.
I was curious about the tapped bosses though and went back to view the pictures of my 261 build for my '59. Those bosses are also tapped.
I went to a website and printed off a sheet of casting numbers for Chevys to take with me when I visit that '58 again this evening.
I'll come back and report the results... fingers crossed!
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
Tim,
If I can... I wire brushed that spot before, and put my camera up close since my eyesight isn't so great...(age) No luck.
So next, I put a piece of paper over it with pencil in hand to try to get an image but no luck still. I'll try again, if I have to stand on my head in the engine compartment. That wouldn't be a prettry picture!
I'm hoping the casting number will do it for me.
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Good luck, Jerry

If you stand on your head in the engine compartment, please do have someone take a photo and post it. pix

Casting numbers should tell you if it is a 235 or a 261 but might not tell you the year. Still, knowing you have a 261 is a good start.

Good luck.

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 84
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 84
Quick check: if its got the 4 bolt rocker cover, its not the 53 Powerglide. (I've got one!)

Last edited by Drydock; 04/27/2012 11:27 PM.

1945 1.5-Ton Chevy Big Bolt
Maynard
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix of the old truck
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by Drydock
Quick check: if its got the 4 bolt rocker cover, its not the 53 Powerglide. (I've got one!)

Still find the codes and post them. A newer head can be bolted to the 1953 235 block. You might as well confirm exactly what you have. Most likely it is a 261 block/head.

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
Drydock,

Right you are, but then he might have a newer year head and valve cover!

I have a later 848 head on my '53 powerglide engine but I kept the '53 rocker arm studs so I could use the '53 two stud valve cover, which in my opinion looks totally cool.

Where did you get your 235?

Kurt

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
OK guys, it's been a very long day.
I drove back to the truck to extract some parts for a buddy and try to verify what I had.

The block casting number is 3769925

Hey Tim, I still couldn't see the stamping on the pad but I sure TRIED

I'm thinking 261, 58-62 grin

Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 84
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 84
As I said, its a quick and dirty check. They don't turn up a lot any more. Dumb luck when I picked mine out of the Kansas CIty Craigs list. Guy put a SBC in his 53, and his wife wanted that greasy old thing out of the garage . . .

Its in my shop now, stripped to a bare block, waiting for the trip to the machine shop, then into my boys 45 1.5 ton.


1945 1.5-Ton Chevy Big Bolt
Maynard
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix of the old truck
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 239
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 239
Looks like you found a great 261 engine. That is the same engine I put in my '55 1st series with a T5 from a '85 S10.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
I'm pretty excited about it. yahoo
After rebuilding, painting and assembling the 261 for my '59, I was just happy that I had a correct 235 from that '58 scrapper for my truck as a backup.
Now, I'm anxious to yank it out and tear it down to see what story it has to tell.
I do wish I had removed the valve cover yesterday to get a casting number off the head.
It'll have to wait till next week (The truck's not at my home).
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Jerry,

Thanks for the photo of trying to find the engine serial number.

That block casting code is 59-63.

You most likely have the 1/2" NPT holes for the full-flow oil filter?

Nice.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
Yes sir. There's a hose running from one of the holes to the other.
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0