The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (NJC, fonz8261, Southerntruck, J Lucas), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,442
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#846506 04/25/2012 3:43 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 35
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 35
I have a set of the reproduction tail lights on my 49 gmc. Each tail light has two single filament bulbs inside. I am using bulbs that say 12v on the package, however, I can't seem to keep bulbs alive in one of the tail lights in particular. I check em, and they are indeed burned out when I change em. What the heck is up?

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Are they burned out or broken filaments? Burned out would indicate an electrical problem, broken filament would indicate a vibration problem.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 35
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 35
hmmm. I will have to get the bifocals out to be sure.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Are the bulbs made in China? I bought a whole box of Chinese made headlight bulbs for my '38 (prefocus base) and none lasted more then a few seconds before burning out.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 35
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 35
I have been getting them at the local auto parts places. I do think the packaging said sylvania....but also said made in china. None of them seem to last more than one or two rides.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I guess China doesn't seal the bulbs well enough, air gets in and poof. I work a parts store and the returns are crazy on China-made bulbs-many blow upon the first use. Chinese quality is lacking.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 35
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 35
That is what I am starting to think here. I also got a headlight from the same flaps that was not glue together squarely. It would not fit in the headlight retainer ring. Being out in the boonies, I gently nipped off a fraction of glass off the outer rim to make it fit. If I had been in town it would have gone back to the store forthwith.

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 194
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 194
You may by sending a shock wave to the bulb when you close the hood. Slamming the hood sends good jolt to the bulbs in some cars.


1954 Chevy Half-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Shutterfly
More pix on Photobucket

1958 Chevy 1/2-Ton Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

<> + <> + <> + <> + <>
"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~~ OLD FROG

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0