The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Peggy M), 169 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,214
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#844833 04/19/2012 2:56 AM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 349
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 349
I currently have a 56 that I am pretty sure came originally w a 235. It now has a non-running 283 in it. I am looking to swap a running 261 out of a 59 chevy into my 56. It looks like they added some ears onto the frame to accommodate the 283. They both have 4 speed transmissions. Any advice on doing this swap is greatly appreciated. I have removed an engine from a 35 chevy before, but that is the only experience I have in this kind of thing.


1956 Chevy 3100 Stepside Shortbox
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
I recommend you get the numbers off your transmission and rear diff and make sure what you've got. That will help you find out if the transmission you have will match your 261, including the flywheel and starter. Another question is what happened to your stock motor mounts when that 283 was installed? Patricks Antique Trucks is a good slource of information for engine swaps using a 261...and they have cool parts. Call them at 520-836-1117. FInd out what your tranny & rear diff are before you call.

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
Get the proper motor mounts and it bill bolt in.The v8 mount may look like ears but they should unbolt if they are the factory type. The 6 cyl mounts are basically a long bolt and some rubber disks.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 349
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 349
AD - I am planning on replacing both the motor and transmission, so matching them up is not an issue. Thanks for the tip on Patricks. I got the 56 w the v8 in it, and have no idea what happened to the original mounts.

Tommy - the v8 mounts are bolted in, so should be no problem taking them off. And the 261 is currently in a 59 apache and has the long bolts and rubber discs, so it sounds like I am in business.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Last edited by niobrarafun; 04/19/2012 1:48 PM.

1956 Chevy 3100 Stepside Shortbox
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0