The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jon G, Hotrod Lincoln, Otto Skorzeny, BC59, 46truck), 109 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,122
Posts1,056,331
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
OK, I'm installing my heater and I've tried hooking up the defroster hoses but I can't get the drivers side hose to go on because it has a rubber sleeve on it...at least it was rubber 60 years ago. I've got a parts truck and it's the same...it has a sleeve on the drivers side but not on the passenger side. Does anyone know why the drivers side defroster has the rubber sleeve but the passenger side does not? Is this just a leftover from an old hose assembly?

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 171
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 171
I know some things changed in 54, and that's what I have, but there was no sleeve on either of the vents. Just a cast metal part. Might be leftover hose like you said


....David
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Jim Carter sells the sleves, but for a later model. Probably would work for you if you decide to go that way. I didn't and just used tie wraps to hold the hose on the vents.


Drew
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
The sleeve is not moving and wouldn't funtion as a grasp for the hose...tie wraps are a good idea. Thanks for the info

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Just my theory about the rubber sleeve on one side, although yours sounds reversed from my truck ...

The hose inlet on the drivers side defroster deflector at the windshield on my '54 3100 is larger than the diameter of the deflector on the passenger side. The two outlets for the hoses on the heater body are the same diameter. If a larger hose is used on the drivers side, then a rubber sleeve must be put over one of the outlets at the heater to increase its diametet to match the larger heater hose on that side. A larger hose may have been used on the drives side because it is longer than the hose on the pasenger side and would therefore have more total resistance to the air movement.

Or maybe someone just screwed up and put the wrong size deflector on the drivers side of my truck??

The sleeves are shown in the Accessories Installation Manuals for various years. Although I believe that their number and locations may be different for different years.

By the way, I have a rubber sleeve for one of the outlets supplying air to the drivers deflector, but haven't put it on yet or installed a larger hose on that side. So for now, both hoses are the same diameter. I jammed the defroster hose inside the large inlet on the drivers side, and fitted it over the small inlet on the passenger side. The hoses fit on the heater outlets without sleeves.


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Lonnie,

Compare this illustration to the analogous illustration in the 1954 Accessory Installation manual.

The 51 shows equal diameter hoses and fittings.

The 54 shows different diameter outlets on the deluxe heater and on the under-dash inlet fittings. It also refers to the bushings used on the driver's-side heater outlet and on the driver's side inlet adapter under the dash. I'll post images later today, if needed.

ADspudnut, what style heater do you have and what year is it? We can help you answer those questions if you can give us a good photo of the front of the heater box/unit.

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Thanks Tim, I have the '54 diagram in my '54 Accessories Installation Manual. My truck has a larger inlet on the drivers deflector, so a bushing is not needed with a larger hose. Only need one bushing -- on the outlet at the heater. Both defroster deflectors look original, but who knows.


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
Interesting...I knew there had to be some science behind that bushing on the deflector. I have a '53(maybe) fresh air heater. Both outlets are the smaller size. I'll check the numbers on the heater and take some pictures tonight.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 289
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 289
My '53 recirculating heater takes a 2" diameter hose on the driver's side and an 1 3/4" hose on the passenger side. The dash vents on both sides are the same size - 1 3/4" and that's why the driver side uses a rubber adapter so the 2" hose will work. Chevy's of the 40's sells both size hoses in the original type fabric.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
This was a post I made a while back that may help on vent styles. Also some pictures of my NOS recirculating heater that very clearly shows 2-different sizes of hose and no bushings. My take is it is a mixed bag.
Two styles of 1954 vents both made of aluminium one type straight the other reverse bend see pictures:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2586236450102454676qRPcYh
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2021907660102454676cpkuJb
Next there are at least two styles of sheet ducts: 47-51 style:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2405252410102454676ppisPX

52-53 1/2 ducts:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2809720060102454676gVgVNT
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2653102730102454676PXUNwF
Then to add even more confusion I have seen them with and without these black spacers (usually on 1947-1950 trucks).
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2661175600102454676CudWvK
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2246331650102454676MRFRlr
The driver side kicking right a bit depending on the style.
Both factory heaters with hoses 1951 picture.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2771261570102454676PZGtET
1952 NOS heater hoses for a recirculating heater no black bushings in kit or in directions.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2411325270102454676ASUkYJ
NOS 1952 diverter and vents w/bushings for comparison you either have to have correct hose diameters or use the bushings and the larger hose.



Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0