The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Peggy M, mick53, Steelonsteel, Otto Skorzeny, Robert Crandall, Charles in CA, JW51), 130 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,267
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#759948 07/05/2011 3:09 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
So my 52 3/4ton had a huge stack of overload springs. And since I didn't need them, I took them off. Obviously the U bolts are now way too long and the threads don't come anywhere near close enough to bolt up. So I cut them and was going to rethread them but they're ebeing stubborn and I can't even get the die started! Maybe it's just that the die is worn out, but it's just not working out for me.

SO, the question is, have any of you ever replaced the rear u bolts and put in shorter ones? If so, where did you buy thenm and for how much (btw, I need about 7.5 in length, and the u bolts are 5/8)

OR, maybe someone has some advice on rethreading them?


194? Chevy 3100 for sale.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
If you go by the book u-bolts should never be reused, once you pull them off simply discard them.
Please don't rethread your old ones.

You can have new u-bolts made at a big truck parts place and or a spring shop. They are not expensive, and all the ones I've had made even come with new nuts and hardened washers.

Could also have them made at http://www.eatonsprings.com/ I've used some from them as well.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Grigg #759989 07/05/2011 6:17 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
Grigg, I probably should have clarified that they will NOT be used on the road. I wanted to rethread them just to hold the axle in place while moving it around and what not until I can get new ones for the street. I'm a "safety nut" I guess you could say. So I want things as safe as possible while working on things. I just had visions in my head of the axle coming lose while moving it around.

BUT, I still need to find new ones. I will check out the link your reccomended.


194? Chevy 3100 for sale.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
For the time being to roll it around the shop just snip off some water pipe to make bushings instead of shortening and rethreading.

Or just buy the new ones, snug them down for now and only torque them at the end before you drive it and when you're done removing and reinstalling them.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Grigg #760154 07/06/2011 4:03 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 222
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 222
Hi Grigg, You remember that Dana 60 you sold me? Well I shortened one tube and had the shaft cut and resplined. When it came to installing it, I used bar stock to make the u-bolts. I turned the threads on a lathe and then heated and bent them. Like you, I did away with the second stack of springs. I found it helpful to put the ubolts over the axle and throught the holes in the saddle while letting them cool. They move too much while cooling and don't line up afterward if you don't.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
The commercial made u-bolts are usually bent cold. Our local truck parts place bends them on a hydraulic machine just for making u-bolts, and usually while you wait. I forget the price but remember being shocked at how cheap they were. I've had a few sets made now.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Grigg #760258 07/06/2011 6:48 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
I called up a place in Chicago yesterday called Southwest Spring, also know as Spring Align (http://spring-align.com) and they said about $13-$14 a piece with the nuts and washers and that it would only take about 10 minutes. SO, I'm definitely going that route. I cant even find them for that cheap online. So for that price and the advantage of having them in my hand immediately definitely beats out paying shipping/handling and having to wait who knows how long for them to get to my house.


194? Chevy 3100 for sale.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
Well I finally went out and got my new u bolts yesterday. I went to Service Spring Inc in Northlake, IL. The service was incredible. I walked in, showed him what I needed, and about 5 min later, I walked out with the 4 new u bolts. Total was $42 + $4 tax, so for $46 I got the exact sized bolts I wanted and didnt have to wait for something to be shipped to my house and have to pay shipping/handling or anything else.

I also spotted a green 1952 3100 sitting outside the shop with a snapped rear leaf. Is that someones truck that's on here?


194? Chevy 3100 for sale.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Thanks for the update!
Glad it worked out,

Many people think u-bolts are hard to find, expensive, or assume you have to/need to reuse the old ones.
Thanks for helping disprove all the above!

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Grigg #760788 07/08/2011 8:07 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
Grigg, we'll see how well they fit when I get to the truck tonight. They look identical, so they should be fine.


194? Chevy 3100 for sale.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
Grigg, although this is an old topic, I think you'll be happy to know that the new ones I bought worked perfect. If people spent a couple minutes doing an internet search and made a few phone calls to some driveline shops, they could save money, time, and have piece of mind that they have brand new bolts as opposed to using the old ones.


194? Chevy 3100 for sale.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Yep, thanks for the update and advice!

A lot of this restoration stuff is knowing what's possible and where to look for it. Not everything has to be or even should be reused... U-bolts are a great example of an easy to get part that should be replaced, and a lot of people don't realize it.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Grigg #844761 04/18/2012 9:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I had mine bent from stock at a local Co. that rebuilds leaf springs, made perfect and exactly as old originals.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 39
Agreed Grigg. And JiMerit, that's the same type of place I got mine at.


194? Chevy 3100 for sale.

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0