The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (DadsFirstPickup, BC59, Lightholder's Dad, Otto Skorzeny), 127 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,422
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#842320 04/08/2012 9:19 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 331
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 331
I ordered some retractable 3 point seatbelts for my truck! Pretty happy, they look like they'll be fairly easy to install. I think what i will do for the high point is drill a hole in the inner wall, tape the nut and two washers to a socket wrench, and extend it really long with a bar or something...then feed the bolt through the hole and try to line it up and thread it in. Think it'll work? I'll let you guys know how I do with this!

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 201
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 201
It will work as far as getting the nut on but that sheet metal won't do much more than hold things in place until a crash.

Search around, someone posted a pretty good write up on how they reinforced that mounting point, I think they even did it without a bunch of cutting and welding.

In the event of rear ending someone that point could easily see 500-1000 lbs of load. So design accordingly.


'69 1/2T stepside, Sea Foam Green, 250 L6 w/ 3 on the tree, not an option on it, in the family since new.
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 331
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 331
Oh, it comes with a big backing plate for the shoulder point. Forgot to mention that. I would never just stick a bolt through that thin sheet metal and hope it would actually stay there if I crashed. I'm thinking of reinforcing it even more somehow.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 456
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 456
Which belts did you order? I'd like to put a set in my '66.

Thanks, George

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
The backing plates on the seat mounts and the factory seat belts, are rather small and attached to the floor sheet metal. Collectively, they provide the "tear-out" resistance needed, in the event of an accident. A backing plate, similar in size & shape, as the factory seat belt mounting backing plate, is sufficient for the B-pillar on the 3-point belts. The 3-point shoulder/lap belts were an option and the Accessory Installation Manual, indicates the backing plate at the B-pillar.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 331
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 331
The backing plate it came with for the B-pillar is around 3 inches in diameter, so I would think large enough...

George, I ordered them from a company called Scott's Super Trucks here in Alberta Canada. Where they get them from, I'm not too sure. Pretty sure they came from the States. If I recall, the box they came in said "The Truck Stop" or something. I'll have to look tomorrow.

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
I got my shoulder belts from www.seatbeltplanet.com. Good prices, fast shipping and the guy who answered walked me through my order. They're easy to install, too.

Last edited by Roadmarks; 04/12/2012 11:48 PM.

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0