The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 103
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 103
I have a '48 big bolt and I'm sorting out the wiring. If I have continuity from high to low beam and from low or high to ground would that mean a bad light switch? (Everything else being ok)

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
I found the same continuity between all three terminals on the bulb - not installed in the truck. I was checking the 12v headlight bults in my '54 last week for condition and to determine which terminal is High / Low / Ground. Haven't reinstalled them yet. Kinda confusing - don't know why.


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 239
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 239
Check the hi/low beam foot switch (on the toe board near the parking brake). That is where the two wires meet. The switch could be bad.



Last edited by di1953gmc; 03/23/2012 1:40 PM.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
-Unknown-
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Guys, the headlights have two different powered terminals, but they have only one common ground terminal, that is why there is continuity between all three terminals on the headlight, hope that helps.

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 103
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 103
Thanks guys for all your input, but should there be continuity at the inner fender terminal block (high beam, low beam, park)and ground? If I have one probe on ground and touch the other to each wire at the terminal block I get continuity.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Ben - if you're checking that continuity with the bulb in place, you're measuring thru the bulb, if you had no continuity that'd mean that element was burned out

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
3B -
Thanks for explaining why the bulb has continuity across all terminals. I shoulda figured that out myself. Guess I'm loosing more grey cells than I thought!


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 103
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 103
Thanks red58
I thought I was going to have to replace the light switch.
Ben


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0