The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (MRMEROTH11, Charles in CA, 1 invisible), 152 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 34
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 34
I have a 1948 216 in a 1951 pickup. On the starter right behind the starter solenoid there is a switch. From what I see in catalogs (Obsolete Chevy Parts Co.),it is called a Starter Motor Reversing Switch? I am finding they where used until 1948. What is the purpose of this switch? Why didn't they come on engines after 48?

Last edited by tsteckle; 03/22/2012 3:39 AM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Most likely you are referring to the ignition reversing switch?

" The switch is mechanically actuated when the starter is actuated  to reverse the polarity of the ignition system on these vehicles. "

Not that I know what this does. Someone posted a good explanation this year. Maybe they will post it again here.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1947truck/47ctsm1228.htm

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
If I remember correctly, on the 41-47 series engines, the distributor was not naturally grounded. The reversing switch controlled which way the current flowed through the points, so that (theoretically) there was an "even" amount of wear on each side of the points when they closed. (as is, because the current flow is all one direction, one side of the points wears out faster than the other side - I'm sure there's some fancy name for this phenomenon - "electro-carbon-fracturaization" or something! ;-) With the reversing switch, each time the truck was started, the switch was flipped mechanically, so that the direction of electron flow flipped directions, thereby causing even point wear, and longer-lasting points. Theoretically.

Eventually, someone at GM came to their senses, and realized that this over-thought solution was more expensive than the problem it "cured" in the first place. GM published a bulletin explaining how to take the switch out of line, and add a grounding jumper to the distributor.

Or so I assert, anyway . . .

-Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Michael,

Good explanation, I think.

I have a copy of that Service Bulletin (I read it about 2 weeks ago). I'll see if I can find it.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
The polarity reversing switch was supposed to equalize metal transfer between the points by switching the direction of current flow at every operation of the starter. Eventually, somebody figured out that metal transfer was caused by the capacitance of the condenser being incorrect. The polarity reversing switch was an over-complicated mechanical solution to a relatively simple electronic problem.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0