The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gray_Ghost, KEVINSKI, HandyAndy), 131 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,514
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#835984 03/17/2012 4:56 AM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 148
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 148
Have a 49 1/2 with original 216. I was told when I got truck it was a 12 volt system. I do have alt instead of gen, no voltage regulater. Have been having trouble starting truck without having to prime first. I know that this is a mechanical problem, but I was trying to start without priming first and maybe held foot starter down too long because starter stopped and I cant get a single noise out of it now. What could I have possibly fried that would cause me to get nothing when I push starter, checked battery and it is charged. Thanks for any help with this problem.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
if it still has a 6V starter, on 12V, you may have fried the starter by cranking it long enough to overheat it .... first check all connections carefully, might have overheated a cable first

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 148
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 148
OK I will check it out in the morning, also do I need to be concerned about the coil??

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Some folks take the cheap way when converting from 6V to 12V. They get a 12V battery, an alternator and a resistor and leave everything else 6V. Check the starter, it may the the original.


~Jim
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 148
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 148
Could you possibly tell me how to check for 6 volt versus 12 volt? Am I to look for a number somewhere

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
If someone changed the starter, I believe they would have to change the flywheel also. Probably not. A 6V starter has heavier windings and spins better. I am not real up on AD stuff but would guess burned wire, fuse?, loose connection, Ignition switch/foot switch burned out. What do you mean "prime" first? How do you prime? That issue must be resolved also, right away. Also a "charged" battery can be real BAD when loaded. Does everything else work? lights, heater, gauges, etc.? You need to do more investigation. If you are up on electrical stuff, see if you can bypass all ignition switches/foot starters and remote start it. This eliminates most wiring and all switches.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by red49
Could you possibly tell me how to check for 6 volt versus 12 volt? Am I to look for a number somewhere
Check your light bulbs. If they're 6v bulbs you have a 6v system. They'd only last a few seconds on 12v.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 171
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by red49
OK I will check it out in the morning, also do I need to be concerned about the coil??
I have had a 6v coil explode on me when using a 12v battery on a 6v system, at the time we thought it was a 12v system. So yes I would be concerned. Other than finding a # stamped on the starter or taking it apart, dont know how to tell if its a 6 or 12v. But to see if its fried or not you could take a set of jumper cables and connect one cable end to the positive battery post and then just touch the other cable end to the starter power solenoid. It will arc and spark but I have never had any ploblems with the starter after doing this.


....David
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 148
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 148
What i mean by "prime" is to pour a small amount of gas in the carb then it will always start. For some reason the gas does not stay in the line, once it starts it seems to run good, just cant keep the gas at the carb when i turn it off. When i turn the key on the gauges work lights work, no heater. I can not get a single sound when i push foot starter, no clicking, not anything. Has me baffled.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Before starting with a prime. Look down carb and operate the throttle and see if gas squirts in the throat. If not, bad accelerator pump or no gas in bowl. What you are doing (priming), the accelerator pump should be doing, if there is gas in the bowl. The bowl can be too low because of problem with: float setting, float valve, fuel pump, dirty fuel filter, vacuum leak, carb leak...since in runs OK after starting, sounds like the rest of the system is keeping up with demand for fuel. I'll bet it's not squirting.
As far as the starter goes: read all the advice on troubleshooting given by everyone so far.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
I burned my starter last year after rebuilding my carb. I just ran my starter to fill the carb with gas until it finally stopped. Yes a 6 volt starter in a converted to 12 volt system. Had it rebuilt at a local shop, still 6 volt but now the truck starts so easy there isn't any stress on the starter. My shop said it will be fine.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
Check your connections from battery to starter. Have had the internal pieces of starter button corrode or have worn spot on the contacf on top of starter. Solved those problems by cleaning contact and/or replacing button assembly. You can bench test starter by removing button assembly and use jumper cables to ground case then touch positive to contact on top of starter. Starter should turn but gear will not slide out as you have to manually slide it via lever on top of starter.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 148
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 148
Thanks guys for all the advice, started with the most simple thing first, changed old cable from battery to starter and it is now turning over fine. Now I am heading for the mechanical forum because I am still not getting gas at first. Maybe a carb rebuild will be in order. Thanks again.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0