The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (GRNHydra, rfs56trk, Ole49GMC), 152 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,076
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
I want to paint the red lettering and top and side stripes on my 46 truck. What type of paint do I need for this and how do I apply it?
My 46 Truck Grille That I need to Paint

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
One shot lettering enamel, and a lettering quill, a small one, like a #0 or something.

Or you could laboriously mask it off.

http://www.1shot.com/



Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by Mr. Lang
One shot lettering enamel, and a lettering quill, a small one, like a #0 or something.

And a steady hand! grin


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I agree with the One-Shot and steady hand, but striping quills are WAY to expensive. Did
this with a small good quality artist brush, about 1/10th the cost of a striping brush.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/141374486/original

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 03/05/2012 10:31 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Very nice Denny! Lettering brushes (quills) where I live, are only about $9 or so. After use, you clean them, and soak and save in neats footoil, they last forever. I've found other uses for mine! But you're right, it is such a small area, and you're fenced in, that you can use just about any tiny brush.

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd45/HomeCrafter/?action=view&current=IMGP0001-12.jpg



Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
Thanks! What colores from one shot would you use for the chevy blue (light blue or reflex blue) and red (fire red or keel crimson)?

One Shot Colores


1946 Chevy Truck Export Blue with Black Trim
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Very nice Chris, I hope you didn't do that
lettering, if you did your in the wrong
business, sell the saws and buy more paint.

I was assuming by quill you were talking
about pinstriping brushes but I see
lettering quills are much different.

I used 152-L Light Blue and 104-L Bright
Red for the emblem on my '50, thought it
looked pretty natural, the Art Deco's may
be different.

DG


Last edited by Denny Graham; 03/06/2012 2:41 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
That was my first shot at lettering, I did practice a few times on some glass. It's a skill I've always wanted to learn. I've always thought the term "Renaissance man" was something to live up to. There isn't much that I'm not interested in, and eager to learn about. Sign painting fascinates me, you can haul all your tools under your arm. What could be better?


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
Thank you, I ordered the paint and brush, so lets see how steady my hand is smile


1946 Chevy Truck Export Blue with Black Trim
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Have a drink, you'll be more steady!

If you do paint outside the line, you can do two things to solve the trouble easy. You can wait until it's mostly cured (almost 24 hours) and cut it off the chrome with a razor, or you can get a "push stick". Mack and others make them, it's a sort of pencil like thing, with beveled rubber on the end, and it will squeegee the wet paint back into place, just like the error never happened.

Plus, you can always wipe it off and start over! No worries!


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Well I gotta say, that was one bang up job you did there. I'm bout the same way,
interested in everything that I run into. Of course more often than not that can be a curse
also, it means that I've not been able to be a master at anything I've done. I bury myself
into some project and when I finish it and feel that I’ve proven to my self that I can do it,
another something grabs my interest. Wanted to fly aerobatics back in the 70’s and 80’s
so I built this and taught myself the skills. Flew aerobatic competition for several years
and proved to myself I could turn a plane every direction including backwards, got bored
and had to move on.
When I was a kid I had an uncle on my dad’s side who’s whole family was into sign
painting. Of course that was big business for a few decades after WWII. His dad and a
couple of his brothers had a big old barn that they converted into a sign shop. I always
thought it was neat to wonder around the barn with all the colorful signs in process. I’ve
tried it over the years but I was never really that good at it. I guess it’s like playing an
instrument, you have to be born with some artistic talent to be good at it. Been beating on
on of those guitars almost every evening for 60 years but still can’t play a darn thing on
it.
I tried painting again a couple of decades back but pin striping this time. I bought the
brushes, paints and practiced for months. I had the same thoughts as you, I envisioned
grabbing my box and head out to lay some stripes on some guys jewel like a Von Dutch
or Tommy The Greek or Dean Jeffries. I thought it would be a great way to make a little
money on the side and still keep a full time job……it wasn’t! I still have the One-Shot
paint, amazing but most of it’s still good even after all these years but I can’t find those
brushes for the life of me.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
Gotta' love One Shot...my favorite paint in the world! And I have to agree...that's some mighty fine looking lettering Dude! Crappy cut vinyl will never compare to well executed hand lettering. It's as simple as "real" vs "plastic".


1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Tango's 1946 Chevy "Skoolie" Project
All my best --- Tango
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
Does the One Shot need to be thinned to flow well?

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I think it depends on the temp and humidity. I wish all paint was as thick and wonderful. They sell a reducer, but as my truck is painted with plain enamel, I just used a tiny amount of penetrol to "thin" the one shot, and slow it down a little.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
Here is a couple things I learned when I used to shoot Bulls Eye Matches.
Do not drink anything with Caffine in it as that makes the Heart beat faster and the results is shakeness.
The second thing is eat a light meal too.
Both these two things stimulates the blood flow causing nervousness. The one thing you do not need when lettering or painting in small areas.
62Blue
Don


62Blue
62Chevy in progress
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
Originally Posted by Don G.
Here is a couple things I learned when I used to shoot Bulls Eye Matches.
Do not drink anything with Caffine in it as that makes the Heart beat faster and the results is shakeness.
The second thing is eat a light meal too.
Both these two things stimulates the blood flow causing nervousness. The one thing you do not need when lettering or painting in small areas.
62Blue
Don

Or enjoy a small glass of scotch prior to and during. Not too much or you may get wavy or think you are going straight and run off the panel.

I too am about to delve head first into some sign painting. My shop has an extra room that has been converted into a old-west themed man-cave known as the "Elm Creek Saloon". I was going to cut the sign for it out of steel as I have a plasma cutter on a CNC machine. However the font that I selected has intricate florals, lines, and flourishes in the letters and I can't cut that detail with my plasma.

So I turned to having vinyl cut. Well, turns out the lines are too fine even for a vinyl sign plotter. So, my only option is to paint it out myself. About to paint the sign blank and will wait for a night that my manic creative stage kicks in, turn on the projector and get to painting. Good thing I don't charge myself by the hour.

I did a few license plates a few months back. Turned out great for a novice, very rewarding. And as it turns out, contrary to what I would have assumed, being tedious and requiring concentration, it was a very good stress reliever. Looking forward to this one.

Just take the plunge and do it. Why? You can say I did it myself. its easy to write a check. but more fulfilling when you can say, yep, i did that.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0