The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wheelie, tclederman, Woodcmiami), 113 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Now that I have oil flowing everywhere as compared to what I previously had (mojave desert under the valve cover), I cant keep the back portion of the valve cover from leaking.

I tried gluing the gasket to the valve cover and then applied a thin layer of grease on the head side of the gasket but it didn't help very much.

I think my truck is making me payback big time for neglecting it so long. I deserve it.



Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
Is your valve cover bent/warped ? I had a leak, cleaned up the valve cover and a nice new cork gasket fixed it... Be sure not to over tighten screws/nuts on your valve cover... That can cause them to leak too...



1954 Chevy 3104 3 Window Hydra-Matic in my family for over 60 Years

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... "Scarlet Begonias" Grateful Dead 1974
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Yeah, if the valve cover is not perfectly flat you are not going to get it to seal. I'm assuming we're talking 216, which can cave in or spread out from over tightening. Best deal is an aluminum Offy, Wayne or any other solid aluminum cover. But if you insist on pure stock you must have a perfect cover.

I use only Permatex #2, really seals.
Best of luck


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
Originally Posted by cmayna
I think my truck is making me payback big time for neglecting it so long. I deserve it.

I've been following your story somewhat, cmayna. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening to you. And, as a Metaphysicalist, I have to say that you could be correct in your assumption, as this is a Natural Law. Technically, it's termed "Combustible Engine Instant Karmic ComeUpIns".

The Solution is to invest more time in your truck, which I know you will. Then the Law of Grace Inna Garage will prevail.

Peace, Brother Bolter.


Dave
The Blue Funk: a '51 3100 4 OTF with a '57 235
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Dave,
Yes payback is a biotch and I'm living proof. Today I'm going to get yet another new gasket and re check the flatness of the valve cover (It's a 235). I do admit that the idea of an aluminum valve cover sounds pretty spiffy. I use them on my Moostangs with great success, but let me continue to see if I can't get this little leaky nipped in the Bud using the original cover.



Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I made a cover gasket for my 216 out of 1/4" rubberized cork. Worked very well. I couldn't get the thin cheap gaskets to seal.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 188
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 188
Does this cover have the four bolts at the edge?

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
yes


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
I'd question why so much oil at the rear of the valve cover, any possibility that a passage is plugged, causing the oil to pool? Maybe the rocker shaft is supplying excess oil to the rear portion of the head? What year, what motor?


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0