The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln, cmayna, Wooley, Otto Skorzeny), 118 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,612
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#83053 09/17/2007 12:15 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 156
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 156
When I pulled the valve cover off my engine I found the overflow part of the oiler broken off and laying on top of the head. It is broken off at the top of the curve and the feedline up to the oiler is intact. There are a few things I can do but I want to do the best one. Should I look for a replacement and hope I get lucky, try getting the one I have repaired, ignore it and put what I have back in, pinch the overflow off and have all the oil run down the rocker shafts? This is the original low pressure system. What are your thoughts?

#83054 09/17/2007 2:54 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I've not specifically delt with this issue but since it's an overflow device and the break is essentially at the same place as the normal hole in the tube, it would stand to reason to me that leaving it as it is shouldn't cause any harm. Just make sure the oiling passageways into the rocker shafts are clean & open. Your rocker shafts should be full of oil befoe the oil gets to the opening anyway.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
#83055 09/17/2007 3:47 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 165
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 165
Hi Jim,
I have that oil connector NOS if you want one. E-mail me [email protected]
I sent you a message also

#83056 09/18/2007 2:49 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Without that tube the excess oil could spray all over the cover and possibly put excess oil around the valves. I got the scoop on the design from an old manual supplement that I picked up at a swapmeet. The little hole is to prevent oil siphoning and the clip is to stop dirt from getting in the hole and blocking it. I always wondered just exctly what these features were about.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0