The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82720 09/08/2007 6:18 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
I have a 55 Series 1 AD and am planning on going with the ubiquitous small block Chevy. Is there a rear that is a close match that could come from another vehicle? I believe that it is about 57" from drum to drum...

#82721 09/08/2007 10:46 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I don't think your 55-1 is different from my 51. The distance I believe you're looking for is 62" from flange to flange. If that is so, a good match would be a 70s/80s Camaro 10 bolt. There are others but this is what I used. You will need to relocate the springs but this is doable.


~Jim
#82722 09/08/2007 10:48 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
I'm running a 3.42 88 Camaro 5 lug diff in my 54, with a 235/.72 T5, which is 62" from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface...the same as the stock 54-55.1st. If you're planning on building a driver, you'll want to consider front discs. The 5 lug 89 IROC-Z (62") has a 3.08 w/posi and discs that might be just the ticket. This diff can handle up to 300HP comfortably. It was also available in 3.42 but the most common was the 3.08. Dependent on what transmission you're planning on running, these are a couple 5 lug options. Hope this helps.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#82723 09/08/2007 10:52 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
This is a common topic here and a search should produce lots of options.

I used the rear from a '73 Chevelle wagon under mine. Had to cut off the coil and trailing arm stuff and weld on spring pads, but width wise it is perfect, and coming from a wagon, mine had 11 inch brakes which have served me well too.

Wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface is a better measurement, and about 62 inches is correct.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#82724 09/08/2007 11:35 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
JTS2530,

I have read about the big block, the small block, and the crate motor, but I'll be dipped if I can find any listing for a ubiquitous block. Is this some new offshore knockoff...we should let Detroit know pronto..I smell a lawsuit. wave

Stuart

#82725 09/09/2007 1:13 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
JTS2530,

Are you going to sell the 55.1 rear end? I would be interested.


Bill Schickling

1940 1/2 ton, 1940 3/4 ton
My web page
#82726 09/09/2007 9:39 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
Thanks for all of the help. I'm not ready to sell anything just yet - we're still driving the 55 "as is" but are in the process of doing some research for future changes...


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0