The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
Just wanted to post this to remind people about the tech tips. I sort of forget about it sometime. The reason I went there today was to figure out how to take off the ignition switch.
No where in the manual does it tell you how to get the key cylinder out so you remove the switch. So I did a search and there was one post that came up that lead me to the tech tips.
Also, the light switch needed to come out. Could not see for the life of me how to take off the switch and I am getting cautious in my old age. Sure I found it here when I did a search. It wasn't in tech tips, but maybe it should be. Who knew there was a button on the side of the switch to remove the center rod. Awesome.


A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
TClederman,
Hahaahahaa I guess I got lazy and scoped the site before looking in the manual for the light switch. It was so helpful on the key switch. Is there a spot in the manual that shows how to take out the key cylinder in the ignition?


A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Super55,

It is hard to remember what can be found in the Shop Manual, the Owners Manual, and in the illustrations in the Master Parts Book.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm1226.htm

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 9
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 9
I'll be trying this later. The 48 I'm working on doesn't have a key though (I'll try another GM key I have). I can turn the ignition switch from the right (off) to vertical (on) only. Do these ignition switches go to the left also?

Last edited by Novatattoo; 02/12/2012 4:14 AM.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
Yes, they do, but you'll need the key for that. It's the "lock" position.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 91
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 91
I found a lock for the door for my 49 in the parts that came with the truck no keys so I took the lock to a lock smith and they found the code for the key which is on the lock and they made a key from that code and it worked. It also worked for the glove box. What a find.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 9
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 9
Thanks Tom. Kind of what I thought.

Later,Bill


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0