| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,135 Posts1,056,418 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 261 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 261 | Hi All,
I have a question regarding the tappered wheel bearings offered by many vendors. I have a 1950 1/2 ton. Is there a difference between the tappered bearings for drum brakes vs disc brakes? I plan on upgrading to the tappered bearings but I also plan on upgrading to front disc in the future. I want to make sure I don't have to buy them twice. What I read is that the disc bearings have a spacer? I plan on keeping the 6 lug wheel pattern if that makes a difference. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 23 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 23 | You'll use the stock hub assembly with a disc brake conversion, so the same tapered bearings will work equally well with drums or discs. You'll need to change out the old inner and outer bearing races, and replace them with the correct ones for the tapered bearings.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 261 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 261 | I just took a look at that link and the expensive complete 6 lug kit did not come with the tappered bearings. The tappered bearign kit said is was for pasager car hardware. Does that mean only for 5 lug rotors? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 261 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 261 | Ouch, that is pretty expensive but I looks like it will work with either drum or disc. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I think that kit is less expensive than a set of regular inner and outer bearings from that same vendor (or, from NAPA).
| | |
| |
| |