The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Nick in Manitou, Bill Hanlon, moparguy, Peggy M), 135 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82329 08/31/2007 10:50 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 6
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 6
Hey everyone, I have found the site to be very helpful, and I have used the search function, so hopefully someone can help me out. I have a 51 Chevy Pickup. I am in the middle of swapping a carb'd 2004 5.3L engine into it, using the straight axle, and right now I am planning on the rearend. I have read about swapping the pumpkin from a TF pickup so that I can get an open driveline. I read Steppenwood did a great explanation of it, however it appears it has been moved, or deleted. My question is, "Is my rearend with the modified pumpkin going to be strong enough for my pretty much stock V-8? Also, are the brakes (when rebuilt) up to the task. I will definately be doing discs in the front and power brakes. I know I can get a later car rearend that will fit fairly close with modification, but it would be great if I could keep the same rearend in there, and keep my stock steel rims. Any help would be appreciated.
Corey

#82330 08/31/2007 11:21 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
That rear with the updated center section will be fine for a stock V8.
The brakes when rebuilt, should be fine as well...especially if you will have discs in front. If your truck is a half ton, '51 is the first year for Bendix brakes which are a step up from the previously used Huck brakes.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

#82331 09/01/2007 12:48 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy LB181 and guys, the rear end will be strong enough, but you will have to do something to stop the housing from rotating, welding, solid mounts, something, hope that helps.

#82332 09/01/2007 12:57 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
What kind of tires are you going to use on those stock steel rims? The wheels/tires will be the most important mod condidering the other things you're doing. 2nd is the dic brakes. Next is the tranny. 5 speed or O.D. is ESSENTIAL. At this point you might decide the v-8 is not necessary. Last would be the Engine. Sounds like you went there 1st. But now you have to do all the previous to take advantage of it. My .02. Good luck!


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
#82333 09/01/2007 12:58 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
I forgot about suspension.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 6
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 6
Awesome, Thanks for the help guys. I guess I will be shopping for a rearend. Its pretty much too late to go back now. That engine is going in there. I know us young guys always talk about just "throwing in a V-8" and don't have any idea how all the little things add up. You really have to reengineer the whole truck. Don't worry about me jumping into the engine swap though. I have been reading here on the Stovebolt since 2000, and I didn't even have a truck. I've been eyeing my uncle's truck since 98, planning what I was going to do to it, and finally got it a year ago. I would have liked to stay with the Stovebolt, but I am looking for something I can drive on the freeway to take to work every once in a while. Sucks when you are the car guy at work, and you do everything to your car. Meanwhile, some guy spends a ton of money buying a restored Mustang, and your project sits at home. I decided to go with a 5.3L engine, got a flexplate and adaptor to mate with a lockup 700R4. I will definately have to weld on some spring perches to attach my rearend solid. Once I get working on this thing again, I will try and put some pics on the net. I am recovering from some knee surgery now, so its on hold. Thanks for all your help. Corey


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0