The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 112 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,380
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#754022 06/12/2011 5:48 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
Hi. Ever since I can remember, I have wanted an old truck to work on. In Junior High and High School, I spent hours scouring every issue of "Old Truck Trader" I could get my hands on. I envisioned the day when I was driving my very own "$800 o.b.o. truck".

I didn't go into a mechanical career, and I never learned what I would need to know to work on an old truck. But still, the fire burned. I guess it was fairly obvious to my husband that I would always get whiplash when driving by a junkyard full of classics, or when passing a farm and spotting a "gem" in the field.

Without my knowing, there was a guy in town, who had offered to sell my husband a 327 motor. He just had to wait until he got it pulled out of the junk truck it was in. The plan was to make a trailer out of the bed, and scrap the rest. This went on for several years. Finally, my husband said, "Maybe it would be easier if I just bought the whole truck." So, my husband went up to take a look at this junker. At first glimpse, he knew I would go ape over it.

So, the truck was delivered to our house while we were in town shopping. It's an hour to the next town, and half way home my husband says matter of factly, "I bought a truck." (Now my husband is NOT an impulse buyer. But he IS a fisherman, and the bait was swallowed.) "You WHAT?!?" I replied. "I bought a truck" was all I could get out of him for the next ten miles. Then he dropped another tidbit, "You might like it." Another ten miles of no new info. Just as we pulled into our little town, he said "If you like it, it's yours." My curiosity was about to give me a heart attack! Well, it was dark when we pulled into the driveway. When our headlights shone off the dual headlights and I caught a glimpse of the shape of the front end, my heart skipped a beat and I said, "I LOVE IT!!!"

Well, it's been road worthy and licensed a couple of different times, but not to the point of being what I want for a daily driver. That is my goal. I want to drive it to and from work.

I took off the roll bar, and sprayed some paint on several years back. The original paint was from the Forest Service. I hope to repaint this year after some body repairs. I've removed the bed wood and will be redoing it this year as well.

So, here I am. I'm the first to admit that I know nothing. But I'm a quick learner. So, I keep asking dumb questions. Keep getting great information from all my Stovebolt friends. And I'm learning more than I dreamed possible. Looking forward to learning more, and doing more on that truck. I am anxious to do whatever I can myself. Dirt, grime, grease ... bring it on. Rust, I'm learning a bit about it, too.

Thanks so much for being part of the realization of my childhood dream! Stovebolts forever!

When I get to driving her every day, then maybe I'll turn my attention to the '37 1-1/2 ton dually I rescued from a field. Here's a picture of both.

Thanks for considering my truck as a Gallery entry!

Carol Levanger
Utah

Last edited by Husker; 07/19/2011 6:52 AM. Reason: added url's and name
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Nice looking truck.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Hambone #754060 06/12/2011 10:15 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
Thanks!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think she's cute. But, my Mom called her an ugly clunker. LOL

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
Looks like you're making good progress. As for me, I love that '37 Big Bolt!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 337
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 337
What a great story. Good to hear you have something to tinker on. Wild enthusiasm can pretty easily overcome lack of mechanical experience. And fortunately these old trucks don't have computers to worry about. Just try to keep your projects small in the beginning - things that can be accomplished over a weekend or so. And take lots of pictures, they will come in handy if you disassemble anything, and will be a great reminder when you look back on where it started.

Good luck with your project, look forward to updates as it progresses.


1960 GMC 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck
In the Gallery
Updates in the DITY Gallery
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Markeb #754356 06/13/2011 10:59 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
Thanks, guys!

Rich, I'll have to admit that the '37 is kind of my favorite - I just love the era. But, getting it on the road is definitely going to be a LOT harder! I'll have to post it's story here, too.

Markeb, I certainly wish I had heard your advice of starting with small projects three weeks ago! My goal was/is to "secure" the interior of the cab (fix the holes). I had thought of buying some spray foam, patches, JB Weld, etc... and going to it. BUT instead, my hubby says he'd love to get back into welding, and that he could do it. GREAT, we both thought, so we bought a little welder.

So far so good, the seat and gas tank came out. Tank & fuel sending unit need replacing - along with all the fuel lines just to be safe. Then we've decided the bed needs to come off to access the cab corners. And after poking around underneath, I'm not too sure that the whole cab shouldn't be pulled to access more of the floor! And, while we're at it what about the engine if the cab is actually pulled.?... yikes!! eek

Man, I should've bought the spray foam and gone after it. I mean, I know in the long run I'm better off doing all the little work, but I really wanted to just drive it this summer. Now I'll spend all summer fixing holes in the cab! LOL

By the way, I really like the idea of phot documenting everything. Another tidbit of great advice!

(I've already talked myself out of pulling the cab.)

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
Hi, Joy and Peggy,

I added the url links to pictures and my name. Thanks for considering the story for entry into the Gallery. :-)

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 114
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 114
Very Nice AND thanks for sharing with us!


Your wife called & said
"buy whatever you want"!
-
1961 Chevy Apache 10 Restoration Photo Album
-
in the Gallery ...
My 1961 Chevy Custom Apache 10 SWB
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 127
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 127
Looks like we both have a truck like this and working on the restoration.....while yours is a 61 half ton, I am working on a 60 two ton. Currently have the seat, gas tank, etc. out and working on repainting the inside cab and also the exterior. Many mouse nests built "everywhere" in this truck. Will be sending more pics of the resto as I go. Your 61 is going to look great after all your TLC to it.


Keep the rusty classics going.
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
Great looking truck. Love the steppers w/the spare tire fenders


http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
Thanks all for the kind words. This will be the first project to "complete." And since she is my "practice" truck where I learn and hone my restoration skills, I'm not expecting her to be show quality. LOL Just a good, fun, solid, daily driver.

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 18
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 18
Great truck Husker! It's awesome just knowing another classic truck is being saved instead of being scrapped. Once they are gone they are gone forever so from one enthuisiast to another...thanks thumbs_up


A Family of Task Force Trucks
1957 GMC 150 NAPCO
1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton Short Bed
1957 GMC NAPCO -2

Stories in the Gallery
More truck pix
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
Hows the project going?


http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0