The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gdads51, 68ironhead), 174 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,251
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
I am working trying to figuire if I have my timing right and if I am getting enough fuel. My carb has hissing sound/sucking sound coming from it and engine is sluggish when you hit the gas and am not getting full horespower out of engine and is sluggish.

Carb Question
I have a hissing sound coming from the carb and when you hit the gas you hear the hissing sound and engine does not respond to pedal immediately. Also if I goose throttle very quickly at carb it will sometimes backfire at the carb. I just rebuilt the carb last night (Rochestor B) but that did not seem to help at all. Also, what is the correct measurement for float level for this carb? I followed the instructions kit came with from napa to adjust float level and it was off a lot from its original position andjust wanted to verify that the napa instructions were correct since it was so far off but has not made my engine run better or worse.

Timing
I have gotten a timing light and have some questions about making sure I timed it right. I see the mark but the ball on the flywheel I am not sure about. I see what looks like a hole in the flywheel (like a quarter inch bolt hole) that I assume is the ball or where the ball use to be. Is there only one mark on the flywheel? Because this thing doesnt look like a ball to me like I have read but more like a bolt hole. Also once these are aligned I tightened everything down but is that all i need to do. I alos put the octane selector at the neutral or zero mark. Do I need to adjust this and I do not hear any pinging like I have read on this thread and any clarification of this pinging would be helpful.

Fuel Pump
I am not sure if this is my problem that contributes to the hissing at the carb but to me it seems like it may not be getting enough gas. I did rebuild the carb and look down carb and do see it spray when I goose throttle. How can I tell if this mechanical fuel pump good or bad easily.

Any help to resolve this hissing/sucking noise at carb and the lack of get up and go from the engine would be great. Thanks in advance.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy jim54521, please remember to tell us what year, engine and size of truck you're asking about. I think the hissing sound is the sound of a vacuum leak, and the engine will never run correctly with a vacuum leak. It sounds like the accelerator pump is working correctly, by giving you a squirt every time you pump the carb linkage. I think finding/repairing the vacuum leak should be your first priority. If when you have the truck running you place an unlit but turned on propane torch in the area that you hear the hissing, if there is a vacuum leak the engine will speed up when the vacuum leak draws the propane in, hope that helps.

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Truck is a 53 Chevy with 235, three on tree.

I do not believe it is vaccum leak and I have done the propane test before and reinstalled intakes properly. This hissing sound is coming form inside carb. Like it is sucking the air from air intake very loudly.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,217
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,217
Sounds like a lean condition. Try setting the float higher. The direction for the kit may have been adapted from many different carbs and combined into one. That carb is 59 years old, so I am betting the directions are not 100% accurate !

A weak fuel pump should not show up at idle unless its really bad, on its last leg so to speak. If you have a inline filter, or the steel line has been cut and repaired, add a " T " fitting and fuel pressure gauge. Most vacuum gauges will work for this. A normal fuel pump will be in the 3 to 5 psi range.

Joe

Last edited by Joe H; 02/02/2012 4:08 PM.
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I would connect an external vacuum gauge, great tool for many items that need tweaking on any motor. With the vac gauge connected, first you can see exactly how much vac you have, 16-20 range is good, you then can fine tune your timing, rotate dist to the highest reading. Adjust the carb mixture via the vac gauge. If the needle on the gauge is bouncing all over the place you could have valves out of adjustment, etc.
Best of luck


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Originally Posted by jim54521
Timing
I have gotten a timing light and have some questions about making sure I timed it right. I see the mark but the ball on the flywheel I am not sure about. I see what looks like a hole in the flywheel (like a quarter inch bolt hole) that I assume is the ball or where the ball use to be. Is there only one mark on the flywheel? Because this thing doesnt look like a ball to me like I have read but more like a bolt hole.

The Ball


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
If your flywheel is dirty it may be hard to see the ball. I got under and pulled the cover off, cleaned the ball off and put a dab of white paint on it. Made it much easier to see.


Allan
-----
1951 GMC 1/2-ton
Two 1953 Chevy 3100 5-window

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0