| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,135 Posts1,056,422 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2011 Posts: 257 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2011 Posts: 257 | So now I'm installing my distributor and setting it to TDC on #1 piston. I have extensively researched this procedure and for the most part I think I'm going in the right direction. I rotated the flywheel till #1's rockers are stationary ( compression cycle ) and #6's are in the exhaust/intake cycle. So now is the time to install the distributor. My question is this: I have looked at several pictures of my eras engine ( '58-'62 235 block and 848 head ) and the distributor cap's #1 is either pointing at 6:00 or 5:00 position in these pictures. Does it make a difference? When I installed mine I had no problems getting it to seat properly, the rotor is even sitting on the lobe and the point's contacts are opened. Freshly rebuilt engine, not fired yet. Here is a pic http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff441/AZ59apacheguy/IMG_0997.jpgHere is the procedure I used http://www.speedprint.com/deves50/doc/enginetiming.pdf
Last edited by AZ59apacheguy; 01/12/2012 4:17 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 59 | As long as the rotor is contacting the number one terminal on the cap i dont see where it would matter.. Mine is around 11:00 I think.. You can loosen the clamp on the bottom and fine tune it. Here is a link out of the service manual for installation Distributor Installation
Last edited by 1953redchevy; 01/12/2012 3:56 AM.
Daniel
1953 Chevrolet 3800 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,817 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,817 | The points should be just barely open, not on the high point of the lobe. It doesn't matter where the rotor is pointing, as long as you use that position for the #1 cylinder plug wire. Follow clockwise with cylinders 5-3-6-2-4 and the engine should run.
Why are you putting that butt-ugly, rusty distributor on that nice-looking new engine? Clean it up! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2011 Posts: 257 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2011 Posts: 257 | Ha ha, I'm not going to use it in that condition, only using it get things set up :-) Thanks for the info | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | Hey Pete, be sure to shout out when you get that baby cranked! We're rootin' for ya! I'll have to wait till I get home to see the picture of your engine (the company filter system doesn't allow). I'm anxious to see it! Hey! don't forget to clean-up that "butt-ugly, rusty distributor"! ha... Jerry W. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | like already said it doesnt matter where you put it as long as everythiing else is in place. i like to have my dist orientated so that the cap clips are in line with the block and the rotor points to the passenger fender. i found that with three trucks its better to have everything the same then having to guess where's #1 when the cap is off just like in the your link. | | |
| |
| |