The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, Tiny, 2 invisible), 100 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,478
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am very seriously considering installing a 3 speed with overdrive manual trans. in the frame off rebuild of my '71 Chevy stepside. It currently has the stock 250 c.i. with the 3 spd manual trans. I have located an o/d trans. , but does anyone know how they work, I mean, are the later o/d trans. electric and cable operated? Can anyone give me a brief "Overdrive for Dummies" course? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Welcome to the 'Bolt, Bob! This would probably be the most thourough explanation on how they work. http://chevy.tocmp.com/1955truck2shop/55ctsm0715.htm You will need to do some adapting, like installing a relay for operation of the solendoid. Try using the "Search" feature on this site, there's been many threads on just this subject, with lots of good info.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Bob,
The OD trans that you would probably want to put in your 71 would be a Saganaw which has a 1st gear syncro. It looks different from the early tranmissions as it has a 7 bolt side cover, the early ones have a 4 bolt side cover and are not syncro in 1st. They all use the same electrical/mechanical operating components.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bill & Fred, Thanks for the information. I've read that I might need to modify my transmission linkage rods to get everything working. My current trans. is a Saginaw 3 spd. and I plan on going with the Saginaw with o/d. Do you think I will have to make mods. on the linkage? What about the driveshaft?

Thanks again!

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Bob,
No problem with the driveshaft, trans length should be the same. Should also be able to use your existing shift arms from your old trans.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 35
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 35
Hi just wondering how the tranny project is going? I have a 56 3100 with the 3 speed and was thinking of trying the same swap. I have the 390 rear end and I don't know what that will do to my over all crusing RPM? Now going 60mph sounds like the old V8 is running 3000 or better RPM. Would like to drop that 1000 rpm or so.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Roger,
In my opinion, the OD swap is the best thing you can do for these old trucks. The OD is .70, so with a 390:1 rear end you end up with a 273:1 final drive ratio. This will reduce your RPM's considerably. I run mine on the So Cal freeways with the crazies all the time. You also might want to think about upgrading to disc brakes though.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
Please let me know how your project comes together. I've been looking for an O/D set up for my 64' C10, no luck as yet, but got to get the RPM's down at highway speeds.
DJ


dj durant

1964 Chevrolet C-10 Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0