The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (LAROKE, Leo, John Dlugos, Shade Baby), 232 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,182
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 103
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 103
Do I need to reduce the voltage to the starter when converting to a 12 volt system?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

No.

However, use the 6v starter with a flywheel that came with a 6v truck (the 12v-truck flywheel had a different number of teeth, so the 12v starter had different style teeth).

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by bens48bigbolt
Do I need to reduce the voltage to the starter when converting to a 12 volt system?
Nope, just don't grind the starter for long periods. If it takes more than 20 seconds or so to fire let the starter cool before trying again.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 103
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 103
Thanks much for the help.

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
I'm not sure if my starter is any good. (Never started it since owning it) Can I hook jumper cables to it and see if it turns?

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Sure, just do it on the floor other wise it might jump off the
bench. It's gonna arc so becarful it can burn the threads off
the post. I would hook the pos to the nut on the post and touch
the grouind cable to the housing last.

DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
Well, I took the starter to the second parts store that said they could not test it, so I hooked up some jumper cables to it in the driveway. As soon as the lever was pushed down the gear started spinning!

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
My 6-volt starter/12-volt system works so well, I just quickly tap the foot button, even when it's cold. Tromping it would be way too long.

I concentrate on getting my foot off it ASAP. It's really that good.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
Wally: Your truck looks great. Don't see too many old flat beds around. I'm keeping the same look on my truck as well. I'll be doing the first start up soon hopefully. Just need to get a battery that fits in the box below the floor. I was wondering how I can get gas into the lines without cranking the motor over too much. I don't want to burn up the starter.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by Wally / Montana
My 6-volt starter/12-volt system works so well, I just quickly tap the foot button, even when it's cold. Tromping it would be way too long.

I concentrate on getting my foot off it ASAP. It's really that good.

Wally, sounds good. A well-maintained 6v system starts very quickly; a 6v starter in a well-maintained 12v system starts even faster. On my 12v system with a 6v starter, one quick push and the engine starts.

I chuckle and shake my head when someone posts about the foot-actuated starter and refers to it as a "stomp starter". If they have to stomp on it (6v or 12v), either they are in a bad mood or they need to fix something in their starter system.

I've seen people inexplicably pushing and stomping with their whole weight and strength, thinking that will help out the starting system. Stomping on a foot starter is as useful as hitting the dashboard before turning the key in an ignition starter-switch.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
Originally Posted by oldchevytrucks
Wally:I was wondering how I can get gas into the lines without cranking the motor over too much.

Loosen the bolts holding the fuel pump onto the engine a turn or so, and wobble the pump up and down a little. You'll pump gas without turning the engine that way. When you can work the throttle linkage and see gas squirt into the carb throat, you're good to go!
Jerry



"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Tim -

But "Stomp Starter" just sounds cool.


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
Could I turn the engine over by hand and get the fuel pumped up that way?

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I cheat, I use my brake bleeder (mightyvac) to suck fuel up to the carb. I fill the float bowl with gas (squirty ketchup bottle like at a diner). When the truck starts, the pump does the rest.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
When I was sealing my gas tank and had it out of the truck, I used a 6-gallon boat gas tank in the back. I could prime the system with the squeeze bulb.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0