| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,128 Posts1,056,664 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 15 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 15 | The truck is a 250 six cylinder. The light stays on all the time. I have replaced the voltage regulator, and the alternator was checked to see if it is charging, and it is putting out close to 14 volts. I replaced the plug on the back of the alternator, due to a broken wire, I thought that might have been the problem, but it did not change. The light does not flicker, off & on, it just stays on all the time. Anybody have any ideas, what is wrong? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | If the wiring is intact, the light usually indicates a bad diode on alternator equipped trucks, Scott | | | | | Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 7 | If its a generator did you polerize the regulator or if it a alternator you might have a week cell in the battery and its stuck in the charge mode. Just some ideas for thought. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 15 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 15 | When I originally had it checked, the machine said, that it was the regulator. As I stated, I put a new regulator on & replaced the plug in on the alternator, checked all of the connections and it still stays on. I suppose, that even though the alternator is charging, there might be something wrong internally with it. I did not have the battery checked, but maybe I need to do that also. Thanks for the input. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,837 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,837 | You need to do a better checkout of the alternator function. It's possible for an alternator with a bad rectifier diode to have enough voltage to charge the battery, but at a very low current output. For instance, a 65 amp alternator with one bad diode will charge at about 10-12 amps. Have someone check out the maximum amperage output as well as the voltage. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 15 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 15 | Thanks, I will have it looked at. | | |
| |
| |