Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Gdads51),
148
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,269 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 196 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 196 | Hey guys,
I am in Easton, Maryalnd. If anybody is ever close by and could stop by, I would greatly appreciate it. New to this forum and new to the old truck!:) Andy | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters | | Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,399 Camp Commandant | | Camp Commandant Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,399 | Welcome Andy. What more can you tell us about your truck? Do you have any pics! You ought to try and make to Stovebolt HQ for the Homecoming in May. Look forward to meeting you. | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | Welcome aboard, Andy  (Sorry, just testing to see if the doodads are working) We have a few ODSS members over there (Kent Island and Pocomoke City) so you can convoy over here for meetings and Interventions, etc Test link Regards, John in Mechanicsville (St. Mary's County)
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 ODSS Lawman | | ODSS Lawman Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 | Welcome Andy
Hope that we can get together soon.....
SWEET Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....1950 GMC 450 1951 Chevy 1/2-TonThe GreenMachineIn the Stovebolt Gallery | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 196 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 196 | Thanks guys, Really could use some help if anybody is ever close.5 minutes would probably solve some real simple stuff that is driving me crazy. Lots of pictures in the welcome forum, under "new guy from md". Need quite a few parts too...of course!:) Andy | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 196 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 196 | About the truck: Truck was manufactured in MO. From all I know after that it was used commercially in Inlet, NY for a construction & excavating company, according to remaining script on door. The originally owner left the truck to his grandson, who had it sit for well over 20 years. A guy bought it and sold it to me as he focused on his 68 GTO. The bed is not original and the rear fenders are cut. Everything esle seems very original. Original color is red, which I am excited about as it is different and a bit more rare according to what I read. The engine is stuck and soaking in Kroil. Majority of valves are not moving. My biggest headeache right now is that the truck is also stuck in gear. It rolls with the cluch pushed in. I removed the shifetr and interlocking plate probably 5 times. The gears look ok and I can move the reverse and first gear mechanism back and forth on the shaft. I can not get the second and third gear to move on the shaft. It is probably something very simple, but I think I will take the transmission out and work on it over the winter. This will also give me better access to the flywheel in order to try to turn the engine. One I get the engine to run I will assess the rest. Parts: I need the interior header/cover fot eh cab that goes over the wiper mechanism, front valance,everything for the bed & rear fenders of course etc etc
That's all I can think of for now! Love the truck; almost bought one in '96 in CA and read lots of books ever since then!
I restored a '70 VW Bug, '66 Mustang and a '60 MGA....well I worked on them..., restored might be a stretch. Ths is by far my biggest challenge, but I know I will tackle it!
Andy
Last edited by Cosmo; 12/20/2011 4:35 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 196 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 196 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/70985817@N02/ | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Andy, Have you tried to shift gears with the clutch in and the truck rolling? Having the engine locked up the input shaft on the transmission is not moving at all. This could be keeping the gears from lining up...there may not be anything wrong with the trans. If you know you have stuck valves they could be locking the motor up. Take a big rubber mallot and hit the top of the rocker arms to see if the valve is stuck or not. If you can feel the spring bounce the valve if they are ok. If you find you have some stuck, loosen or remove the rocker arm assembly, this will allow the engine to turn with the valves out of the picture. This will also save your valve train from any further damage (bent push rods) as you try to turn the crank. If you remove any of the push rods remember to mark them so they can go back in the same hole later. Happy Holidays! Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 196 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 196 | Hey Mike, That is one heck of a good idea with regards to the transmission. So what you are saying is: since the egine is not moving the drive shaft, it will not move the gears and will not help to "pop" it out of gear - right? I will not be able to move the truck around, but with the clutch in, I could raise the rear tires and try to move a tire a bit to possibly get it out of gear? I guess I would have to raise both rear tires or esle I won't get it to move... As you can probably tell...I am a "one man show" out here...I will see what I can do! Please let me know if I understood you correctly.
Some valves move a tiny bit when I hit the springs with the rubber mallot..I think they will all be loose soon.
Andy | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Andy, I think I misunderstood you...I was thinking you just couldn't get it to go into 3rd or 4th. I reread you post again and I see your stuck in gear. Do you know what gear your stuck in? With the clutch IN and the truck rolling, ALL of the gears and shafts associated with the gear your stuck in are turning. Did you try to pop it out of gear while being towed? Jack the truck up (be sure to chock the front wheels) to be sure the stuck engine isn't acting like a parking brake, locking everything up with it's own weight. When you had the cover off and you moved the 1st and 2nd shift forks did the rod the forks are attached to move back and forth or did the shift forks just slide on the rods? The reason I ask is some of the old transmissions had the shift rod move (forks are bolted to them) and they would extend out through the front of the transmission and into holes drilled in the bellhousing. Maybe the rod is rusted to the bell housing? Since I don't know 1946 transmissions I am just throwing it out there... Mike B  | | |
| |