The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (55shaker, classicfins, 37 GC, Otto Skorzeny, Shaffer's1950, 1946chevytruck, CandoBrent, 1 invisible), 80 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,661
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
I am putting together a suburban with parts from other trucks. What is the differences between the front axels and their corresponding parts? I am talking about spindles, drag links and the such. Can anyone tell me what to look for when buying the correct parts so I don't buy the wrong thing again? thanks

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy GMONIZ, according to my Canadian parts book, the front axle is the same for the 1/2 tons from 1941 to 1955 "A" or first series. The same holds true for the spindles, the drag links are the same 1947 to 1952, then 1953 to 55 "A" or first series, hope that helps.

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Originally Posted by 3B
the drag links are the same 1947 to 1952, then 1953 to 55 "A" or first series, hope that helps.

What is the difference? I thought that the front spindles changed too when they went from Huck brakes to Bendix, something about the diameter of the spindle. I could be wrong, but I think they have different bearings.
thanks for the input.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
No difference. They were all the same AND to show you how much more confusing it can be, 49-54 car brakes, bearings and hubs will also fit the 41-54 truck fron axle.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
So, what's the difference on the drag links? Was this just a parts number change? I have to gather up the parts and I have already bought some things wrong, I just don't want to do it again. Thanks

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
The difference in the drag links are how they attach to the pitman arm and the steering arms. Earlier type require a ball fitting be pressed into the pitman and steering arms and the draglink has a socket this fits on to.

The later draglink has pins or dowels like a modern vehicle and the pitman and steering arms dont have the ball fitting just a hole.

The important item once you decide which to use is to have matching arms to go with it.


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The spindles had different size holes where the backing plate attached, when the brakes went from Huck to Bendix. You can check the bearing IDs and ODs from the parts books. I know that on the one Ton, there were bearing changes through the AD years.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Thanks guys, now I will look for pictures to make sure I don't end up with more extra parts!


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0