When I got my '51 Suburban in 1973 I noted that the original 216 engine had a place for a crank. I soon switched that engine out for a '53 powerglide engine, but I have always wondered what kind of job it would be to start the engine with the hand crank.
I happened to be borrowing a hand crank when I was freeing up my 216 over the summer so I started with it once just to do it. I shattered my arms in a motorcycle accident several years ago so I was particularly cautious but it was pretty easy once the first time jitters from the horror stories were outta the way.
I've never started my '38 but I use the crank every time I gap the points.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
I have many times. It helps to have someone sit in the cab to work choke/throttle. Also, it takes some time if the engine is cold and has not started in awhile. When hot it is very easy, and can be done alone. My starter died in my 3800 a couple years back, and I hand cranked it for a couple weeks while I waited for the starter to get rebuilt. You get a lot of funny looks, and even more questions/conversations. Gives you even more appreciation for the electric starter!
I can attest to wounded/maimed body parts (arm) when trying to crank start a tractor. I wound instead of popped. It unwound and dang near unwound my arm at the elbow, nevermind the shoulder. Have great respect and take great care when/if you do any crank-starting. I can't imagine a 216 being any different than that tractor.
The secret to hand cranking is how you hold the crank. Never have your thumb on the other side of your fingers, that way when it kicks back it will pull out of your hand and you will automatically pull your arm out of the way when the crank comes back around. I have hand cranked my 1937 car with a 216 engine, also hand cranked my uncle's Model "T" Ford (sorry) many times using the thumb placement above and never had a problem.
Growing up on the farm at my grandparents they had an old JD that had to be fired up with a steering wheel that ran off the flywheel. The only one on the farm that was big enough to fire it off was my uncle, and he had a lot of respect for it. I have a 38' Chevy in the garage now that has the crank pulley on it, but I'll stick to the electric. Seeing the video made me do some searching, and there is one on there about a guy with his Yellow 38' that is outstanding. Old straight 6 with a 3 carb set up and the split manifold that sounds awesome. Now to get out and feed the stove some more wood and get busy again on my projects. Tramp Tramp