The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (2-Ton, cmayna, 1955 1 Series, tclederman), 85 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
Ill be replaceing the exhaust/intake manifold gasket on the 230 this weekend. Been 15 years since last one was done. Do I need to you any sealant on the new gasket?


http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
Make sure both surfaces are clean. Then put a straight edge to them and check to see that they are not warped. If they are not warped then your go to go. If you want to use some sealer the hi-temp copper sealer is good.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
I like the high temp silicons, but anything made for high temp will work.

Clean the manifolds and head really good, use a DA sander or Scotch Brite pads, anything except a grinder!

Is the gasket between the intake and exhaust still good? or is just the one between the block and the two manifolds?

To change both, start by removing the three bolts holding the two intakes together, go slow and easy so you don't snap one off. Having the engine hot helps, sometimes, so does soaking them with solvent for a few days. Once apart, clean both surfaces and replace the gasket with sealer on both sides, do not tighten the bolts all the way yet.

Place the new block gasket on the head studs with sealer on both sides and hang the manifold. Start in the center and tighten bolts working outwards alternating side to side. Once the manifold bolts are snug, tighten the three that hold the exhaust to the intake, then finish the manifold to the head bolts. It sounds like a lot of work but really isn't. Holding the whole mess in place while starting the first few is the worst of it.

Joe

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
I ve done one before, just been 15 years and another 63 chevy, so I'm familiar with the process, but thanks for the refresh on it. The gasket between the two manifolds is ok, but I'll replace anyways. I'll get some sealer today. One side of the exhaust/intake gasket is smooth metal and one is patterned...which side goes towards head...the smooth side?

Last edited by jon1963; 12/08/2011 6:32 PM.

http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
Tried to go out last night and do a check on the manifold to see if in fact I have a leak, but darn 60mph gusts and sideways rain wasn't helping my cause. Also...have to choke so much Im not sure ill hear an rpm drop anyways. I think for the sake of it, I'll just replace the gaskets anyways, reclean carb, check plugs, replace fuel/air filter and pray.


http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
Jon, I just went through this with my '56 half-ton. My exhaust manifold was warped 1/16 of an inch. I used Permatex Ultra Copper with a new gasket and it sealed up. It was actually recommended to me by the machinist as an alternative to milling the manifold. Not the cleanest solution, I know, but it was what I chose to go with and it worked.


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
Joe...did your engine have the same problem...only running with the choke out?


http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
No, I had disassembled mine to clean all the crap out of the intake manifold (heavy varnish from old gas sitting there for years). I couldn't get the manifolds to seal against the block because I bolted them together first. Then the guys here advised me it was best to leave them loose. Then I discovered the exhaust manifold was cracked. I found a replacement at a salvage yard that turned out to be warped. More info than you wanted, I know, but that's how I wound up using the Ultra Chrome.


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 4
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 4
every 194-292 engine i,ve seen when the gasket is bad the intake & exhaust manifold needs to go to machine shop and get machined ture and matching again. there very touchy . best to do it right 1st time. imo
bob


I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
replaced gasket this weekend, which was not bad. Still at the same problem. Only runs w/choke out. New fuel pump replaced (under warrenty), new fuel/vac lines and installed a fuel pressure guage which reads 4psi.


http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
Sounds like carb rebuild time. You might also plug all vacuum hose ports just to be sure one is not leaking someplace. It would have to be a 3/8" hose to really make it run as you describe. Double check the timing.

Joe

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
Pluged the vacuum at the carb, only 1 on the model B rochester. It goes to the vacuum advance. Didn't change anything. The only other vacuum line is the 3/8" line that goes to the PCV valve and I replaced that and the Pcv valve as well. I haven't messed with the timing, but Im down to check that as well.


http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
Have new carb kit reserved at NAPA, let you know im morn if any change


http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0