The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jon G, Hotrod Lincoln, rfs56trk, BC59, Robert Crandall, Gray_Ghost), 94 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,122
Posts1,056,331
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 37
4
New Guy
New Guy
4 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 37
OK, transmissions are out of my comfort zone so please be patient. My '49 1/2 ton truck with original 216 engine has developed a noise that seems to be located around the transmission area. I have only noticed this noise when in second gear. The noise is not present all the time - it comes and goes without warning. However, it might be more prevalent while first accelerating in 2nd gear. I can only describe the noise as a metallic scraping sound (sorry). So, here are my two questions:
1. Any ideas what this could be - I didn't give you much to go on so any ideas are welcome.
2. According to the shop manual, the trans is lubricated with 1.5 pints of SAE90. Draining it is easy enough but I haven't been able to determine where to refill it. What am I missing?
Thanks for any ideas - 49trucknut


49 Truck Nut
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Hardly an expert but I'll give you my 2 cents. Noise from a trans could be a bearing. I think there must be a trick to testing which, accellerating, decellerating, neutral running and so on. Surely someone here knows. I have used Lucas oil in my trans and find it is quieter but it could be different with yours.
Filling the trans is done from the pipe plug on side of the tranny on the passenger side. Not easy to get at for filling but it can be done. If the trans is bone dry and has not had oil in it you may have to put some in the back where the u-joint lives. The Chevy shop manual is the bible for things like this.
Hope this helps a bit.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0