The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Rich'sToys, rfs56trk, Otto Skorzeny, Rnl364), 156 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,437
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#798409 11/16/2011 4:50 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
While taking the u bolts off my '54 1 ton rear axle the other day, I guess the constant pounding (without much progress) damaged my old Mac impact wrench. I finally used a breaker bar and four feet of pipe to get them loose. So......now I'm in the market for a new impact wrench. I've pretty much made up my mind to get this one unless there's a good reason not to. Anybody have experience with this model and what do you like or dislike about it?

Bruce

Last edited by 55 1st suburban; 11/16/2011 4:52 PM.

My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I have one that is over 40 years old and has been used extensively by a lot of people. It has never failed or been serviced other than a couple of drops of Marvel Mystery Oil once or twice a week. I can't speak to how they are made today but it looks the same and the spec's are the same so I guess it's a duck.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I used one at a past job, it did just fine, never any problems.

This is the one I have, or a couple year old version Snap-On MG725
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...roup_ID=24800&store=&dir=catalog
1,190 ft lb in reverse is nice.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
Originally Posted by Grigg
This is the one I have, or a couple year old version Snap-On MG725
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...roup_ID=24800&store=&dir=catalog
1,190 ft lb in reverse is nice.

Grigg

Snap-On is out of my league. If I did this for a living I might pop but this is just an expensive hobby for me!

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 394
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 394
Bruce have you had a chancs to talk to Wayn on the Mack truck? He may be able to send it in for a rebuild


Drive with Pride. mike j
family pic
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
We have several of the IR Titanium impacts from 1/2 to 1" drive and they are absolutely amazing. I have been using impacts for about 45 years and they are the biggest step forward I have seen. I still have a bunch of the old heavy impacts, but no one uses them once they have used an IR Titanium. I wouldn't even think about having an old impact rebuilt, and I paid something like $1200 for some of the old 1" drive impacts.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

780 ft-lbs, 1190 ft-lbs big_eek

You guys are truly in a different league.

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
You have tool envy Tim? smile

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
Hey Mike, The old MAC is probably pushing 30 years old. Not sure if it's worthy of a rebuild. But if your interested.....I'd sell it pretty cheap! dang

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by mapleleaf
You have tool envy Tim? smile
I always have, and I always will, Randy. cry

Old Craftsman and newer Harbor Freight: even if I growl, Tim the "Tool" man I am not.

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 273
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 273
Originally Posted by tclederman
780 ft-lbs, 1190 ft-lbs big_eek

You guys are truly in a different league.

Same here!! I can't afford one of THOSE. ohwell

But I still wouldn't mind a thousand or so ft-lbs for loosening stuff. wink

As for tightening - those torque-limiting extensions are the greatest thing since the ol' proverbial sliced bread. Especially for wheel nuts.

Just sayin'. cool









Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
You can't go wrong with the 2135ti. That's my primary impact at work. You might take a look at your local Sears, they do keep those in stock.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
Sears does have them but they are cheaper at Tooltopia.com. It would be free shipping and no South Dakota tax.

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 92
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 92
I have a IR Titanium impact and it works great. Very good investment. Got mine on amazon and notice that SEARS sells them too. Should be pretty easy to get without breaking the bank.
Hope it helps.


1949 Chevy 4400 216
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
Got one and love it. Light and good tourqe


52' Chevy 6400 2 ton




Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0