| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (DaveV),
114
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,623 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I saw one on ebay (at least the person claimed it was for a 216/235) It DID have a tach drive but whether or not it was for a stovebolt I don't really know. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 1,922 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 1,922 | It might have been a governor drive for truck or industrial use. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 | I believe some of the marine engine applications used cable-drive tachs with a special distributor. If the distributor has sintered-bronze flame arrestor vents it will be for marine use. Chris-Craft equipped some of their runabouts with 235's set up with the triple side draft carbs similar to the Corvette option. The difference was in the water-cooled exhaust manifold. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | so maybe it was for a 235, I sure wish I had picked it up when I had a chance.... | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | apparently corvettes used these according to several posts I found | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | Well the rumors are true, 53-55 corvettes used tach drive distributors, There is a beautiful example on ebay for $1600, now I really wish I had gotten the one I saw... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 181 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 181 | We had two in older Chevy 2 ton (216 & 235) stake trucks. Both worked well and when the distributor was rebuilt the kit we got had some Tach Drive parts replacements also. The shafts looked very similar to a Shield speedometer drive cable. Normbc9 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | oh yeah, this is funny, I just posted a topic of where to find a decent electric tach. But I did find out that 53 (and maybe 54) corvettes had the tach drive distributors, as well as the larger trucks, they weren't the same but both will work, don't happen to know where they went do you? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 181 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 181 | I'd suggest you try www.chevysoftheforties.com and Jim Carter Trucks. They both don't show anything in their catalog but I have bought parts for these from both of them. Normbc9 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | I even tried a guy that specializes in old corvettes and all he could do was wish me luck. I'll get one eventually.
Last edited by brokenhead; 11/18/2011 1:12 PM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 66 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2010 Posts: 66 | my '59 261 has a distributor tach drive...i thought it was just a "grease cup" for the longest time! t | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | | | |
| |
| |