The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (joe apple, Steelonsteel, Otto Skorzeny), 134 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,613
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I saw one on ebay (at least the person claimed it was for a 216/235) It DID have a tach drive but whether or not it was for a stovebolt I don't really know.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
It might have been a governor drive for truck or industrial use.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
I believe some of the marine engine applications used cable-drive tachs with a special distributor. If the distributor has sintered-bronze flame arrestor vents it will be for marine use. Chris-Craft equipped some of their runabouts with 235's set up with the triple side draft carbs similar to the Corvette option. The difference was in the water-cooled exhaust manifold.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
so maybe it was for a 235, I sure wish I had picked it up when I had a chance....

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
apparently corvettes used these according to several posts I found

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
Well the rumors are true, 53-55 corvettes used tach drive distributors, There is a beautiful example on ebay for $1600, now I really wish I had gotten the one I saw...

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
We had two in older Chevy 2 ton (216 & 235) stake trucks. Both worked well and when the distributor was rebuilt the kit we got had some Tach Drive parts replacements also. The shafts looked very similar to a Shield speedometer drive cable.
Normbc9

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
oh yeah, this is funny, I just posted a topic of where to find a decent electric tach. But I did find out that 53 (and maybe 54) corvettes had the tach drive distributors, as well as the larger trucks, they weren't the same but both will work, don't happen to know where they went do you?

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
I'd suggest you try www.chevysoftheforties.com and Jim Carter Trucks. They both don't show anything in their catalog but I have bought parts for these from both of them.
Normbc9

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
I even tried a guy that specializes in old corvettes and all he could do was wish me luck. I'll get one eventually.

Last edited by brokenhead; 11/18/2011 1:12 PM.
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 66
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 66
my '59 261 has a distributor tach drive...i thought it was just a "grease cup" for the longest time! t

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
wanna trade?


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0