The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, Gray_Ghost, TooMany2count), 68 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,712
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I know this might be a little off topic, as we mostly talk about trucks around these parts, but I've got a question.

I seem to recall seeing pictures of some Chevs, perhaps late 30s or early 40s that had a sort of airplane antenna for the radio. I think I've seen two styles, one where the antenna runs up the centre of the windshield and back along the centre of the roof. The other style, looks like an upside down check mark. The antenna comes out of the centre of the roof, right above the windshield, and then bends back.

Am I crazy? Did I see these on Chevs? or was it something else?


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Oh goodie. This is what I was thinking about....

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/accessories/1939ab/39acc13.htm



Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Isn't that a wild looking invention? The alternative in 38 was a set of dual antennas that mounted under the running boards!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I really like the way these look. I see that Buicks from around 1940 used a swept back roof antenna, not as wild as these chev ones.

I'm thinking of (when I get around to it) not using a factory antenna on my panel, as I have to stop and lower it before I drive into the carport every day. On the other hand though, I wonder if the radio performance would suffer with one of these antennas, as they are much, much shorter. I'm already on the fringe of my favourite station anyway. The styling is so beautiful!


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
My 50 Buick has a basic one top center of the windshield. It has a control knob inside to turn it. The radio doesn't work so I can't say how well it works.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
So where does your antenna lead-in come into the car? The inventions they had back then!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
I haven't traced it, but I assume it is between the headliner and outer skin and probably comes down one of the pillars. I'll go out and take some pictures later today, after the Broncos blow it or it's all over.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Inside control knob. Note the arrow tells you where the antenna is pointing.

Antenna. Note it is a telescoping unit, so it should perform pretty well with a modern radio. I am missing the last section end but maybe I can replace it with one out of an old transistor radio.

Here is one in the up position.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
That's great. You can buy parts for those antennas from the buick suppliers. I believe you can buy just the mast, for about $35 dollars.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Wow, thanks for the photos. That is really fascinating. You will find the Buick radio to be a very nice set. I can imagine having all the great tunes booming out from the opulent chrome dash!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
In 1939 Chevrolet had 3 styles of antenna:
1. Running Board: Part #985238 $5.00
2. Turret Top: Part #985462 $3.50
3. Telescopic Cowl: Part #985446 $3.50

Wish you could find NOS ones for that price today.
Found a Turret Top antenna back in the mid '70s in Angelica, New York at a one time Chevrolet Dealership. The old guy pulled out a parts book from back when and charged me $3.50 for it. I've never been that lucky since.


1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
B
Camp Commandant
Camp Commandant
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399


~ Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division
1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures
1959 GMC 860 | Pictures
1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures
I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I still think those antennas are cool. I also still have to finish my radio!


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 320
T
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 320
Back when I was a kid, my dad had a buick with one of those antennas like friedgreentmaters. In the 50's around where we lived there weren't a lot of stations close by. Pointing the antenna in the direction of the station boosed the signal.

You can try this out by taking an antenna and hooking it to the radio (AM) then point it around and when you point to the direction he station is in, it will get louder.


1951 Chevy 1-Ton Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Pictures of the restoration on Photobucket
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
RIP good friend.

Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0