The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (John Dlugos, 1 invisible), 150 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
You will still need to crank it, preferably with the remote starter tool we discussed earlier. You will only see the spark when the engine is cranking.

I don't think that wiring the coil backward will kill it but I am not certain. I do know that it will not work while wired backward.

Don't get discouraged, I feel we are close to getting this one to run. Do you have anybody that can take a movie of what you are doing? I will be off to go hunting tomorrow so I won't be on stovebolt for a few days. I bet you have it running by the time I get back.

Originally Posted by MikeR
...

I do not quite understand the hotwire. I can see where I'm giving the positive feed straight to the coil and bypassing the ignition switch but how would the starter get juice?

I do not have a wiring diagram other than what was on this site. It shows the positive side of the coil going to the distributor. This contradicts the Motors manual. Would I kill the coil to reverse the wires? Put the distributor wire to positive and the harness wire to negative?



1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
M
MikeR
Unregistered
MikeR
Unregistered
M
I have found a couple of wiring diagrams on the internet. I do appear to have things wired correctly. Rock Auto has a 1966 Chevrolet Truck Wiring Diagram book for $8.26. Does anyone know if this would cover the Suburban Carryall? I don't think there are many differences up front between a C10 and a Suburban.

Rock Auto also has a 1966 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual Supplement for $28.79. Would this be better than the Motors Auto Repair Manual 1969 that I'm currently using?
Mike

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 72
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 72
HEYYYY!!!!!1 I was just enjoying the HELL out of this thread and now, nothing!!!! What happened?? Did Mike ever get it started? Did Vern go hunting? Did Vern bag anything?
And what about HotRod? Did he decide Mike wasn't worth any more help? Or did a bunch of Stovebolters around Dallas come to Mikes Rescue???

Mike - Mike - tell us she started, tell us you enrolled in a mechanix night class and are now travelling around fixing continuity errors in bad electrical systems! Please, tell us SOMETHING!!


I MUST KNOW!!!! wink

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
I was the camp cook and my nephew was the hunter. He did get his first deer a little spike buck, and was elated. MikeR started a couple different threads and I don't know if he got it running or what. The later posts left me somewhat confused.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
There's too many cooks in this kitchen.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0