| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
155
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 239 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 239 | I have a '55 1st series. I have removed all the window stuff in the doors. I have all new windows and window felt ready for installation. I took the truck to my friend to get the doors aligned and a couple holes filled before I install the new windows. I'm considering getting outside stainless trim for the windows. The original trim is painted. What holds in the original window trim in place and what will hold the new stainless.
Thanks for any information. Larry | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 1,232 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 1,232 | Larry -
I just finished installing new painted outside window trim from the Truck Shop on my '54 3100. You will need to wiggle the old trim out and the new trim into place with your tongue held just right and a firm grip on your temper. The trim is press-fit over the lip of the window opening. Two tabs at the bottom go into two slots in the door near the rubber wipes and are bent up to hold it in place. I drilled a hole through top "flap" on the trim and into the door on each side of the junction and a hole or two in the side "flaps" of the trim to screw some 1/4" 6-32 flat-head phillips stainless screws. If your original trim was held on with screws, don't even think about using the same holes. You will never hit them.
EDIT - The new trim was predrilled for screws. I may have added additional ones ... not sure.
I was pleasently surprised that the new trim went into the openings with relatively few hic cups. The Assembly Manual and Shop Manual give some insight. Also do a search on Stovebolt.
If you buy new trim, compare the length of the tabs at the bottom with the length of the tabs on the new trim. The new tabs may be longer than the original and will be a bear to bend into postion. Suggest you trim them to match the length of the original trim.
FYI - I have pre-'51 (no vent window) outside and inside stainless trim in good condition - needs polishing. The inside will not fit a vent-window truck.
- Lonnie My '54 3104Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt. OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Lonnie, I'm going to be going thru that exercise this winter. So you're saying that the trim just prys out of a slot in the opening? I'd hate to bend it up trying to get it off. Check your PMs Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 1,232 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 1,232 | Denny -
The outer garnish joins at the top with a fake clip that is molded into the garnish. Separate it at that junction and flex it in toward the center of the window. You can walk it out of the opening. Seems like it would kink and break, but you don't need to flex it very much. Check for screws holding it to the door before you start flexing.
Mine came out and went in pretty easily. Just be gentle and use your gut to be aware of when you are flexing too much. Luckily mine was not frozen to the weld lip on the window opening.
I believe that I started flexing it from the front of the opening first, but I'm not sure.
Good luck.
I received your PM.
- Lonnie My '54 3104Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt. OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Thanks Lonnie, I'm trying to save everything that I can that was original to the truck and hate to screw something up when someone else has already been thru the exercise. DG
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
| |
| |