The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#79140 06/24/2007 11:32 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6
I wired it up by connecting the positive of the battery to the starter, and another wire from the positive going to the resister and from the resister to solenoid of the positive and the negative solenoid to the ground on the distributer, but when i wired it up the solenoid heats up and it smells like its burning up..why is this? or how can i wire it up so i wont have this problem. THNX

#79141 06/24/2007 11:43 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the resistor wire goes to the coil, NOT the solenoid .... tho I think that's what you mean - and the other side of the coil goes to the stud on the dist [to points inside], NOT ground - if your coil is heating up it prolly means that you don't have it switched, hooked like you say is like leaving the key on all the time, engine running or not

assuming you are trying to have a useable truck, not just "testing" things, the hot wire from the batt to the ign resistor needs to go thru the key switch


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#79142 06/25/2007 12:29 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
CHEVY50,

In stock form, aren't GMC's of this vintage positive ground. Maybe your engine is in a different rig or someone has already changed system polarity...hopefully!

Stuart

#79143 06/25/2007 12:33 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
If it was switched to twelve volts(wire to resistor), the polarity would probably have also been switched.

#79144 06/25/2007 2:46 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Baldy,

Good point...I missed it.

Stuart

#79145 06/25/2007 5:03 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Chevys until the 55 were positive ground I believe.
I could be wrong. I know the early 50s were. I could be wrong about that as well.


~Jim
#79146 06/25/2007 5:50 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
BIG CHEVY 3600,

I'm pretty sure Chevrolet never used a positive ground system. If they did, it might have been in the dark ages, but, I too could be wrong. smile

Stuart

#79147 06/25/2007 12:03 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 37
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 37
I never had a chev that was pos ground. I do have 2 old GMC that are pos groung,however. Just my $.02


"Sometimes my luck is so bad that if I bought a pumkin farm, halloween would probobly be outlawed."
#79148 06/25/2007 12:30 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
ya Dont think lucas was ever involved in a chevy do ya ?..OMG


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
#79149 06/25/2007 10:09 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
It must have been some sort of teenage greasemonkey myth. It was something talked about like how to prevent someone stealing your spinners. I wonder why GMC would be pos. grn and chev not.


~Jim

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0