The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Mike B, FishinToms53, Peggy M), 91 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,648
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 95
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 95
I looked at the old strings thru the search, but most of those discussions deal with old dirty engines, I believe.

I have just rebuilt my '54 235 - The engine has no filter assembly. Should I continue to use the dollar-store brand non-detergent, or should I switch over to something else for my new engine.


J.D. Jordan

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Much, much discussion on this subject can be found with search function...enough to make you dizzy. Many varying opinions.

Here is a good article on the subject.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From what I have read in the new Vintage Truck that there has been several cam failures (in rebuilt older mtrs) because of the lack of ZDDP (zinc dialkl dithiophosphate) in the oils being made today & believe it or not they are recommending Diesel oils in the older flat tappet mtrs. Can't tell you much more other then some of the rebuilders recommended it also & the author did some research on it. There is a 2 page write up in the magizine talking about it so you may want to try to find the magizine or maybe someone can ask Vintage truck if we can post that Tech Tip here on the bolt....

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
dublenaught,

Use the best detergent oil you can. A 30 wt would be fine. The detergent compounds in motor oil will scour the insides of a dirty engine to a minor extent, but their main purpose in life is to encapsulate all the junk in the oil, and hold it in suspension until it can be drained when the oil is changed.

There has been lots of talk about cam/lifter wear resulting from decreased levels of a critical anti-wear compound in current motor oils. If you have installed a new cam and lifters with this rebuild, it might behoove you to read up on this subject and possibly break your new engine in properly with a additive or motor oil up to this task.

The switch from a non-detergent to a detergent in a old dirty engine was reported to plug the filter as the new detergent oil scrubbed the interior of the engine and dumped all the crap into the system, plugged the filter and choked the oil flow to death. I don't know if this actually happens, but with your new, clean engine, you're safe.

Stuart

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
A good 30wt detergent is A-OK. But regardless of what you use I wouild start with a quart of the GM EOS (engine oil supplement) Can't go wrong there. A lot of folks are going to the Rotella as is mentioned in several posts a while back. I can confirm this as I delivered parts for a company for quite some time and you would be surprised how many shops are useing the Rotella. Most of them are using the 15-40wt. Just more info for you to decipher!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Definetly use EOS! Good stuff for break in. I actually used 2 bottles of when I did mine. Also, if you plan to usse Rotella, break it in on it to. Otherwise, any goos 30 wt (I use Valvoline) will do just fine. Remeber to change the oil and filter (if you had one) after the in initial break in. After that, you should be able to run just the oil without any extra additives.


Bill Burmeister

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0