Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
83
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,081 Posts1,056,318 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#79025 06/21/2007 1:42 AM | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | I have sprung a leak from the water pump shaft seal. The engine serial number indicates it is a ’48. I have the fan and the water pump off of the engine but can not separate the fan belt pulley from the water pump shaft. I have tried all the usual tricks, soaking it with penetrating oil, heating the boss on the pulley, and two different gear pullers. The first started to bend the outside rim of the pulley, the second attached to the fan mounting screw holes started to bend the center section of the pulley. Still the pulley boss will not slide off of the water pump shaft.
What am I massing?? Are there other tricks? | | |
#79026 06/21/2007 2:21 AM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Kip's41,
I'll hazard a guess or two. The pulley is pressed onto the shaft and requires a proper setup and press to remove. Have you found a repair kit for this pump...you're planning on repairing it yourself. I didn't think repair kits were available. The easiest route would be a rebuilt pump, and it will probably come with a pulley installed.
It sounds as though your bent pulley is toast now. Have you researched a rebuilt or new pump?
Stuart | | |
#79027 06/21/2007 3:12 AM | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 | The rebuilt pumps are available....I got mine from NAPA....you have your choice of a 3/8" pulley or the 5/8". Took a day to get it shipped in. Think it was about $54.00 with the old core.
I've tried removing the pulley..it's cast and even with the proper pullers I wound up breaking a chunk out of it.
Dave | | |
#79028 06/21/2007 4:23 AM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | I've been looking for months for rebulding kits and they are no longer avalable anywhere. I got mine apart ok the flange and pulley were bent a little but I straightend them in the lathe and indicated them in with a dial indicator. cleaned it all up by soaking in "De Rust It" then I had to re-assemble it with the old bearing and seal because I couldn't find replacements. Started her up and got a little drip from the vent hole on the bottom and finally ordered a brandy new one from Rock Auto, $80 with the shipping. I did a little right up about the new pump a week ago. All thumbs up! Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
#79029 06/21/2007 8:30 PM | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | I got a rebuilt pump for my 38 from my FLAPS & it had the pully on it. All I had to do was install the fan. I think you're making a lot of work for yourself that you don't need.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | |
#79030 06/21/2007 9:21 PM | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 284 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 284 | I bought a rebuild kit off E-Bay for my 42 but ended up with a rebuilt. I think I still have the kit somewhere. | | |
#79031 06/21/2007 9:31 PM | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 | Gents, ALL the 216 water pumps that I have seen had the pulley SPOT Welded to the flange in 4 spots. Its NOT rebuildable from that side, You have to take it apart from the Backside after the plate comes off the back. Leest thats what an oletimer told me, an the first thing back on the shaft is the new seal,etc etc etc.... Regards, | | |
#79032 06/21/2007 9:47 PM | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 | If you have a rebuilder in your area and it is a original GM pump have it rebuilt. I had one redone for our 46 and cost about $40 with a guarantee better than the locial parts store. | | |
#79033 06/22/2007 1:05 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | If you have the one hole in the back I have one I bought off ebay. With seal. Don't need it. My 216 is a 53 with the 2 holes. I need one of them. I think I paid $30 for it.
Just following the thread and for information.
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | |
#79034 06/24/2007 8:17 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | stevesr is correct. The only way to correctly remove the pulley is to press the shaft out from the back. Then insert the bearing/shaft assembly in a piece of pipe and press the shaft out of the pulley.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | |
#79035 06/25/2007 2:36 PM | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | Thanks guys for all of the advice, looks like a rebuilt unit. Just checked with the local FLAPS and they have one on order for overnight delivery. | | |
#79036 06/25/2007 2:58 PM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Just out of couriosity Kip, what they gettin for a rebuilt pump in Michigan these days?? Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
#79037 06/25/2007 4:22 PM | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | $71.00 less a $20.00 core net $51.00. Over night delivery. I'll check when it gets here to see if I can determine where it was rebuilt. | | |
#79038 07/13/2007 12:53 AM | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 | Thanks Dave For the backup,,, Thought I was loosin it LOL. Regards and as always,, A Pleasure Steve Sr. | | |
| |