The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ponchogl, MikeE, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 162 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,144
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
I kindly request my fellow Bolters to post some DS or PS views of their trucks so I can see what kind of wheels people choose. Chrome, painted, mags, anything really. Stock catalog pics are nice, but I'd like to see them on the truck.

Here's why I'm asking.

One day I will buy and install a disc brake kit on my 65 C10 SWB Stepside. When I do, I'll need to decide if I want to stay 6 lug or convert to 5 lugs. I'm thinking that 5 lugs will give me more options.

Anyway, here's a chance to show off your wheels. Thanks in advance for helping a noob. pix

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Lugnutz,I realise my truck is one of those 'old fashioned' jobs,but I think these wheels would work on one of those modern trucks you have! wink

I went for Rocket Booster wheels and they won't bust your wallet!


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
54 6 Lug Stock Rims with 215 R - 16 LT Tires

I had the rims powder coated and painted through Les Schwab for about $ 25 each...



1954 Chevy 3104 3 Window Hydra-Matic in my family for over 60 Years

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... "Scarlet Begonias" Grateful Dead 1974
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Hard to beat the look of aluminum slots. One of the few period correct wheels for old classics.. and they are strong enough to use for a work truck:
http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/34932/2889705870103882008S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/46342/2434645190103882008S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited by Hot Rod John; 10/19/2011 12:04 PM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 166
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 166
Mine are in the Mar-K ad!

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Pretty common on rods...mine are 17" American Racing Torque II
( Link in my signature )


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Thanks to everyone who posted pics.

Will I be able to use 15" rims with a CPP 2.5" drop spindles with the front disc brake kit? Or will I need to go with larger size rim, like maybe a 16" or 17" rim?

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 67
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 67
like my aluminum wheels on my truck, had to grind about 1/16th of an inch off the outer surface of the knuckle for the wheels tp fit, check out my wheels

http://community.webshots.com/album/568194970DeADGJ

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
Prolly not what you're looking for:

Old School

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by 6tvette
like my aluminum wheels on my truck, had to grind about 1/16th of an inch off the outer surface of the knuckle for the wheels tp fit, check out my wheels

http://community.webshots.com/album/568194970DeADGJ

Maybe you had too much backspacing? Do you know the backspacing of your wheels? Are they 15" wheels?

Last edited by Lugnutz; 10/20/2011 3:24 AM.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by waldo53
Prolly not what you're looking for:

Old School

Actually, I was wondering if someone would post wheels like that. I see they are stock 6 lug. Very classic and old school. Thanks for posting!

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by Lugnutz
Thanks to everyone who posted pics.

Will I be able to use 15" rims with a CPP 2.5" drop spindles with the front disc brake kit? Or will I need to go with larger size rim, like maybe a 16" or 17" rim?

On mine,it's got an MII with 2.5" dropped spindles they recommend no less than 17" wheels on account of the lower arm grease zerks contacting the rim.
To use my 15" Jaguar shop rims I had to remove the bottom ball joint zerks.
Not sure if this would apply in your circumstance.
Might be worth checking out though.....


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 42
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 42
Most likely what I will do with my rig as it is very original.


Be the person you would want as a friend because at the end of the game the King and Pawn go in the same box.
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
I agree with Waldo and Cletis. My opinion and it is only my opinion is that a stock or stock looking truck should have stock or stock looking wheels. Any thing else to me just looks wrong. Having said that I realize everyone has their own tastes and I am OK with that. I am a firm believer in it's your truck and you can do ever what you want with it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rYY002JsDbGaPm_HbJtCtg?feat=directlink

Weeds

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
Haven't reached that point but like the wide whites, beauty rings and baby moons
Dan

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Blazer Rallye with Corvette trim rings, and a center cap from a late '90s 4x4 Chevy. Here's a shot shoring the rest of the truck.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 172
longbox55

what size are youre rims and tyre,s?????


live or die do it with spanner in hand
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The wheels are 15 x 8, the tires are 30x9.50x15 C range.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 127
V
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 127


Jessica's Truck

The true definition of insanity:
To do the same thing the same way repeatedly and expect a different result each time.



Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Artillery wheels my wheels built by The Wheelsmith. The Wheelsmith I put 1941-1946 hub caps on them with stainless steel rings.


Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
I went with the American Racing Torq Thrust II. 18 x 10 out back, 17 x 7 up front.


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Lots of variety and it makes it tough for me to decide what I wanna do. Keep the pics coming. I have plenty of time before I need to make a final decision.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 10/25/2011 1:25 AM.
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 374
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 374
Stock 16" wheels, Firestone WWW bias-plys. Stock hubcaps, no trim rings.

46 1/2 ton wheel


"My tires and tubes are doing fine, but the air is showing through" smile

1946 Chevrolet 1/2-ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
GrandpasTruck: Where did you get your bullet center caps? I'd like a set for my 52.

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 42
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 42
Here is a link to my truck. You can see the stock wheels on this.

Link to pics (sorry for reverse sequence)
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/ShepFL/Vintage%2049/


Be the person you would want as a friend because at the end of the game the King and Pawn go in the same box.
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
Im running the stock trim rings and 63 hub caps on later model stock steel rims for the clearance over the disk brake calipers.


http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0