| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,231 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 | Any hints or things to look out for swapping out a 250 straight 6 w a 3 on the tree for a v8 327 w/ auto trans?
Found out after messing with this engine it had a couple dead cylinders, 30 pounds of compression in them and 2 bad valves and a cracked/repaired block.
My brother is giving me a 327 that has 26K miles on it with an auto trans.
I see all the posts mostly talk about 350 swaps. Should I assume there wont be much difference with the 327?
It is going in a 64 short stepper.
Last edited by AzMcCoy; 10/16/2011 9:00 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 319 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 319 | You'll have to add a crossmember/mount for the tail of the tranny, and remove the 6-cyl. "spacers" for the side motor mounts. Have fun.
cm If you can't fix it with a hammer and screwdriver, you need a bigger hammer.1965 Chevy C10 | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 37 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 37 | If it is a newer LS 327 and electronic controlled tranny, you are going to be adding a bunch of computer controlled components and all new wiring. Older 327 with carburetor and mechanically controlled tranny will be very similar to any other SBC install. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 | Thanks for the information.
It is out of a 1968 so it does not have computers. Original 2 speed automatic trans also. Don't know if I should bother with updating the tranny or not.
My 64 has a 12 bolt rear end with 3:73 gears but is not a posi trac. I assume this will work okay with that configuration. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | I'd stick with your original 3 speed, easier swap and less trouble down the road
Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 487 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 487 | Don't throw away the adapters on the 250 block that connect to the motor mounts. Someone will want them. Same with the p/s pump brackets. regards, Leon
Last edited by Leon; 10/18/2011 8:44 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 51 | I forgot to ask.
I would guess the original Radiator wont be enough to cool the new motor, especially if I add power steering and air conditioning to the mix.
What would be the best radiator to look for in a salvage yard? | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 487 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 487 | I'd agree that a 48 year old radiator might turn out to be a weak spot in your refurbished truck. But before replacing it with another one with unknown history, I'd suggest checking to see what a new one would cost. For example, Autozone offers their CU284 for $215 with a lifetime warranty. P&A may be different in AZ, but its worth asking.
regards, Leon | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 319 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 319 | Original 6-cyl. radiator is smaller than V-8 unit. I bought new V-8 one (LMC) for when I swap from 250 to sbc, but haven't put it in yet. Don't know yet how mounts & shrouding will end up. $215 is cheap!
cm If you can't fix it with a hammer and screwdriver, you need a bigger hammer.1965 Chevy C10 | | |
| |
| |