| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (Bill Hanlon, Jon G, Ponchogl, dt235sd, rfs56trk, Steelonsteel, Maybellene, 49choptop, 1 invisible),
120
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,478 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | It is probably GM because I think they are the only ones that used vacuum shift. It could very well be original in a 64 60 series. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 326 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 326 | Here's my guess if the differential wasn't changed out over the years.
If it has 15x4 brakes (15K axle) it could be a 6:40/8.72 or a 5.83/7.95.
With 15x6 brakes (17K axle) it could be a 6.40/8.72.
These were the popular two speed axles during the mid sixties on GM medium duty trucks.
SimS | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 7 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 7 | Thanks SimS. I saw that data on this site someone else linked me to. That's why I noted that I forgot to look at the drums. http://www.chevyc60.com/the_rear_axle_page.htmI thought the numbers on the pinion support were supposed to be the pinion and ring tooth count, but I don't know how that would work with the additional gearing in the rearend. I also thought that the 2-speeds were all Eatons. Was I wrong? Are they Corporate? Either way, is there a model number for the axle so I can refer to it somewhat intelligently when looking for parts? | | |
| |
| |